Game Over

How was your last hunt? Let's see!
Cut N Run

Game Over

Postby Cut N Run » April 24th, 2010, 9:58 am

It rained overnight, making it easy to get through the woods & grasses quietly. I brought the strutter decoy along with a feeding hen decoy in hopes that they'd help.  I went to the oldest blind on the property alongside of a old logging road.  I set the decoys 20 yards in front of me.

Just as it was getting light, a wren hopped on the sweetgum branch over my head and several large drops fell down my back & neck. Nice. Long as there's no soap in it, I'll probably be all right. At 6:03 a crow fired up in the distance and the boss gobbled on top of him from the hilltop across the creek behind me. I quit counting gobbles somewhere around 40.  I threw a single quiet cluck out from my XT diaphram and he gobbled right on top of it (good, maybe he'll play along).  At 6:30 I heard wingbeats behind me & cutt quietly four times.  He double gobbled right on top of my calls (Game On!)  I got the gun up and checked the safety. A lone hen came out of the woods and crossed the logging road, not caring about the decoys, and disappeared into the scrub trees.  About 50 feet behind me I heard more hens squabbling near the creekbed. I checked the safety again. Just after that, I heard spitting & drumming (now we're talking!). I saw another hen step out, then another, & another.  suddenly, I saw a red & blue gobbler's head pop out between me and the hens.  He spied the decoy and took off like a shot to kick that decoy's foam butt.  That gobbler hit the decoy so hard, it BROKE the stake in half and knocked the dried tail fan 16 feet away from where the decoy had been standing (yes, I measured). He also spurred two holes in it big enough to slide an ink pen through.  He realized that something wasn't right, PUTTED, and started the head-bobbing walk they do right before they break & run.  I rolled him @ 16 yards. My hunt was over at 6:38 AM.

He weighed 21 pounds 2 ounces, had 1-1/16th inch spurs, and an 11-1/8th inch beard.  Not the biggest turkey I've taken from there, but probably the baddest.  I found five #6 pellets in his breast that had healed over, so it was not his first encounter with a turkey hunter, but it was his last. That was probably why he was so call-shy. He was also about bald on his breast from breeding so many hens. With him out of the picture, maybe we'll hear a few more gobblers. I may go call for some friends, because I'm done shooting.

I called E.P. to share the good news & he told me that He'd called in a gobbler for his disabled friend, Ronnie (who shoots my old SBE).  It was Ronnie's first gobbler.

Jim

Luck Counts, good or bad

Hognutz

RE: Game Over

Postby Hognutz » April 24th, 2010, 10:34 am

Well done, Jim.. Congrats on a good season and a very nice bird. Nice picture...Mike
And there I was...Knee deep in grenade pins..

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » April 24th, 2010, 11:17 am

Good season Jim, now go rest that shoulder!!
South Carolina Low Country

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » April 24th, 2010, 1:06 pm

JIM
Congrats. on a great season I have been following your posts for some time about the turkey movement on your lease and it sounded like it would be a good year.
All that hard work paid off and that is what it is all about.
I still have one more week to wait it out up here looks like the birds are where they should be in their cycle hope it stays that way.
Jon [;)]
Turkeybuster

mark hay

Postby mark hay » April 24th, 2010, 2:29 pm

Atta boy Jim . I would have liked to seen the show before the shot .

Congrats on a successful season . But I must correct you on one point . It only has pauses of a few months ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,[:D]

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 24th, 2010, 4:44 pm

Congrats Jim, glad it worked out for you. Now you'll have to get the duct tape out and patch up your King Strut [:D].
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

MAKEemQUIVER

Postby MAKEemQUIVER » April 25th, 2010, 4:35 am

Congrats Jim he's a dandy. Is that a Benelli Vinci that you are shooting?

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 25th, 2010, 7:34 am

SBE II with a Kick's .655.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » April 26th, 2010, 5:11 am

Great job Jim. Good to see you finally got the boss, way to knock his lights out!
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

Return to Photo Gallery • Post your hunting photos!