Are you a callmaker or wood worker?

For many, hunting can be a spiritual experience. Share those insights here. Hunters of all faiths and traditions are welcome.
Kawboy888

Are you a callmaker or wood worker?

Postby Kawboy888 » April 23rd, 2010, 3:34 pm

One of my college professors once asked me about woodworking when he read my bio. After I told him what my interests were within wood working he said, "you're following in some pretty big footsteps". For a while I had no idea what he was talking about, then It hit me, Jesus was a carpenter.
Rich Leathers
Leathers Archery
"Instruments of Mass Destruction"

Everyday Hunter

RE: Are you a callmaker or wood worker?

Postby Everyday Hunter » April 24th, 2010, 5:47 pm

I wonder if Jesus made turkey calls. You've got me to thinking.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

hoosierhunter

Postby hoosierhunter » April 25th, 2010, 4:40 pm

It is not known factually that Jesus was a carpenter as we today know the meaning, although I too being a master carpenter for many years now, like to think that I may be a tradesman like my saviour once may have been.
It is only stated once in the New Testament that Jesus was a carpenter, ( Mark 6:3 ). The greek word for carpenter in the Kione Greek is " tekton" which means master builder and was more often used to describe a stone worker or mason, although it is quite possible that the meaning of carpenter is just as we understand it . In those days there were about 20 masons or stone workers to 1 carpenter. Also master builders are the ones who were in charge of carpenters at that time.
Justin Martyr of the 2nd century wrote that Jesus was in the habit of making ploughs and yokes as was his father. Carpenters of that time were makers of furniture, utensils, and implements, as well as crosses used for crusifixion.

I simply like to think of Him as my Saviour, and appreciate that I have been forgiven.

There is no turkeys in the mideast, Everyday.

GOOD LUCK, GOD BLESS, AND STAY SAFE !
L.K.LESLIE
HOOSIER HUNTER CUSTOM CALLS
MOSSY OAK PRO STAFF
TURKEY & TURKEY HUNTING PRO STAFF
[img]local://214/2D3DFFE8352B41E3A81747EBOBC5F370[/IMAGE]

Kawboy888

Postby Kawboy888 » April 25th, 2010, 6:08 pm

Thanks for killing a cool post Hoosier.
Rich Leathers
Leathers Archery

hoosierhunter

Postby hoosierhunter » April 26th, 2010, 5:16 am

Hey Rich Leathers, you might want to lighten up a little, my only objective was to provide some info on the possible occupation of my Lord. A persons faith is only as strong as the persons knowledge of that, with which they have faith in. L.K.Leslie

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » April 26th, 2010, 6:37 am

ORIGINAL: hoosierhunter

There is no turkeys in the mideast, Everyday.

L.K.LESLIE
MOSSY OAK PRO STAFF

Yes, I'm aware of that. What got me to thinking was the idea of a "call" in connection with Jesus' carpentry occupation and his appeal to repentance. He issues a call to each of us, even if it isn't to meleagris gallopavo. We're like turkeys -- some homo sapiens respond and others don't.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

hoosierhunter

Postby hoosierhunter » April 26th, 2010, 7:29 am

Very Good Steve, I was sure you knew that that no turkeys were in the mideast, but I wasn't catching the inference. DUH on my part.
As I'm sure you know that is why the box calls I make are named, The Preacher, The Deacon, and The Elder. A sort of seed that I have been blessed to sow, hoping it will bring glory to the Lord, knowing it is the Lord that calls and produces growth.
I appreciate your letting me know what I was missing, and be blessed.

L.K.LESLIE
MOSSY OAK PRO STAFF

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » April 26th, 2010, 7:53 am

ORIGINAL: hoosierhunter

... the box calls I make are named, The Preacher, The Deacon, and The Elder. A sort of seed that I have been blessed to sow, hoping it will bring glory to the Lord, knowing it is the Lord that calls and produces growth.
I appreciate your letting me know what I was missing, and be blessed.

L.K.LESLIE
MOSSY OAK PRO STAFF

Any plans for making one called "The Apostle"?

Steve

Kawboy888

Postby Kawboy888 » April 26th, 2010, 11:09 am

Hoosier, I don't think that I need to lighten up. Your post was in my opinion the same thing as telling a child there is no such thing as Santa Clause. You mention something in regards to your faith being only as strong as your knowledge? I completely disagree with you. Faith in my opinion is a belief in something and can be based on whatever you want. There is no way that either of us can prove that my Lord was a stone mason or a woodworker, I like to think of him as a woodworker. Since we wont know the truth until we ask him, I'm going to stick with the popular opinion.
Rich Leathers
Leathers Archery

hoosierhunter

Postby hoosierhunter » April 26th, 2010, 11:32 am

No Apostles

Return to Faith in Hunting