what time in the a.m.?

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
RickB

what time in the a.m.?

Postby RickB » April 22nd, 2010, 1:05 pm

Well, this is the last question I have before I head out this weekend. 

How much before sunrise do you like to be set up?  If sunrise is at 6:00 a.m., what time do you want to have your back against the tree?

Thanks

Rick

grizzly

RE: what time in the a.m.?

Postby grizzly » April 22nd, 2010, 1:29 pm

welcome to the forum rick. i try to get in the woods an hour and a half before sunrise [;)] wayne

mark hay

Postby mark hay » April 22nd, 2010, 1:50 pm

It depends on how big the tract of land is ,,,,where the birds are likely to roost and how long the walk is going to be .
 Generally I hunt public land , and I like to be within 300 yards of where the birds MIGHT be . But , this doesn't always work out with high pressured Easterns .
 I do not see any point in setting up ,,or I should say sittin' down in the dark . As it begins to get light I just might want to be in a different spot .

wseested

Postby wseested » April 22nd, 2010, 2:24 pm

I like to be in the woods and set up a half hour before sunrise. If you are hunting public land, make sure you check the states hunting regulations though. Many states set a limit to when you can legally enter the woods.

Rennat

Postby Rennat » April 24th, 2010, 5:14 am

i like to be set up where i know i want to be atleast a half hour before sun rise, I watched some birds yesterday morning when it was still darkinsh gray out they were on the ground already

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » April 24th, 2010, 11:06 am

I try not to sit down before I hear a gobble or I know they are on the ground. I locate general roost areas and try to get close to those areas to account for their different patterns. I have been stuck on the wrong side of a tree and not been able to move for the shot. Staying back a bit gives me the advantage of cover for my movement.
South Carolina Low Country

FullStrut

Postby FullStrut » April 25th, 2010, 5:16 am

For you guys who hunt later in the morning how is it done? i am gunna give it a try this year but how do you go about hunting these mid-late morning birds? will the toms be alone and will the birds be vocal? also by this time in the day where are the birds most likely to be?

grizzly

Postby grizzly » April 25th, 2010, 7:55 am

i find that hunting the edges of feilds and around food and water sources to be the ticket . i use hen clucks and yelps in soft tones and scratching the ground .i found this method to work well when the toms get hened up in the early morning[:)] wayne

Gbln Fvr

Postby Gbln Fvr » May 1st, 2010, 10:13 am

FullStrut, This is one of my favorite ways to hunt. Where I hunt most people are giving up by now. I'm lucky enough to have alot of area to hunt. I begin walking slowly through the woods and around field edges calling and glassing the fields as I go. When I'm lucky enough to get a responds that's when I hit him with some excitied cutting and yelping. Usaully by the second sequence of calling I'm being cut off. Give him another yelp or two then I stop calling. He'll come a looking. I have had great success with this method. Hopefully this will work for you to. Adjust as necessary no two turkey hunts are the same.

paturkeyhunter29

Postby paturkeyhunter29 » May 1st, 2010, 4:04 pm

I like to get in the woods a half hour or more before sunrise. When hunting late morning
gobblers I either run n gun hoping to strike up a lonely bird or set up a blind and hen
decoy near a known feeding spot or strutt zone.
Love to hear the turkeys talk!

Next

Return to Strategies