Conclusion: The Gate Debate

In this interactive feature, Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20+ years of turkey hunting, asking "What would you do?"
Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » May 18th, 2011, 5:22 am

In "Decision Time," Editor Brian Lovett shares a scenario from his 20-plus years hunting turkeys. Each hinges on a critical decision. Post what choice you would have made, and then see how things actually turned out.

I love to see new ground while walking and calling, so I was leaning toward the older brother's philosophy. However, the younger brother made some valid points, and the birds at that property hadn't gobbled much the previous day. I voted to wait by the gate -- unless, of course, it became obvious that a distant bird was ready to die.

We never had to worry about it. As dawn broke the next day, a bird sounded off within 100 yards of the gate. He was flopping in the pasture 10 minutes after flydown.

"See, I told you so," the younger brother said.

"Yeah, but if that bird had gobbled 300 yards over there, we would have gone to him," the older brother said.

I didn't really care at that point. A dead gobbler is a dead gobbler, and it had been a super hunt. However, as if to prove a point, another longbeard soon walked up the cattle path and would have crossed through the gate had we not been caught flat-footed and busted him.

The younger brother shot a glance at his elder but didn't say a word. His wait-by-the-gate mantra ruled the day.

What decision did you make?

Click here to return to the scenario.

Click here to learn about deer and turkey management beyond food plots!

Return to Decision Time