Finally located them!!!

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
FireFly908

RE: Finally located them!!!

Postby FireFly908 » April 24th, 2010, 4:44 am

One problem DeanoZ. That's my spot and I'll be there earlier than you! [:)]
Just kidding of course. Good luck and congratulations on thinking this through. Too many hunters these days just wade in and blast away at anything that moves and can't figure out why they don't get anything.
Let us know how you do!

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » April 24th, 2010, 11:01 am

You seem pretty set on the decoy but...you are not sure of their direction of travel once they fly down, if you need to move "quickly" to get around them it will pose great problems for you. They also don't always roost in the same exact tree just the general area. So, your set-up could be backwards and the decoy could be on the wrong side. I'm not the most expierienced turkey hunter but I know that turkeys do wierd things. If I was that close to the flydown I would only use some clucks and purrs and scratchings after they flew down.
South Carolina Low Country

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » April 25th, 2010, 1:31 pm

Hey fellas, thanks for the feedback...Firefly your welcome to come along for the party, lol...the more the merrier I always say!  This is only my second season and I learned a lot from last year, so I know the adage of learning by your mistakes, and I'm ok with that.  But I get few opportunities like this presented to me so I like to make the most of them..even though we all know those darn birds are gonna do what they want, regardless of logic.

Morgan, actually today I walked the ground and the tracks i saw seem to inidcate what I had thought initially, that they are in fact dropping in the near field then skirting past the tip of the hedgerow in a northeasterly fashion.  My concern was being too close to the roost in that hedgerow.  Your right about being able to get around them should they drop on the other side, so I have another spot to the north in that clump of trees past the hedgero about 100 meters.  If they get past me there i can slip north into the woods and have another spot 100 meters more to the north I can slip into and cut them off as they continue across the road  into the other field..I'm hopeful it does not come to that.  don't know how it will all pan out so pray for me fellas and i'll provide a report tomorrow afternoon...hopefully with pics attached :)

Previous

Return to Strategies