Early Green-up

JeffCrez

Early Green-up

Postby JeffCrez » April 19th, 2010, 3:23 pm

Well, we've got 11 days till the NY opener. The leaves are comming on strong here in Dutchess county. It seems about ten days early. That may work in the hunters favor hiding our movements better. I'm also expecting heavy black flies due to a lot of runoff water. Funny how each year is a little different weather wise. Hope you all are organizing gear and laying out plans like me! Good Luck and be safe.
"Fall hunting is maneuvers, Spring hunting is war".......Tom Kelly

turkaholic

RE: Early Green-up

Postby turkaholic » April 23rd, 2010, 1:39 am

I'm hoping they don't get to hot to early this year. I hunted Dutches and Columbia county for 15 years, lots of birds, nice area. I now hunt up by Cooperstown, lots of state land and a fair amount of birds. Good luck to you this season
live to hunt hunt to live

JeffCrez

Postby JeffCrez » April 24th, 2010, 7:08 am

Turkaholic, It's very early this year. The dogwood in my yard normally flowers about May 1st. This year they started opening on Apt.19th. Not sure what that means for turkey hunting but a lot of the hens will be bred early (I think). Maybe we will enjoy more of that part of the season when the Toms are lonesome. I hunt in Otsego Co. too as well as here at home in Dutchess. I'll be up there 5/1-5/4. I'll be listening for your shot over to the west near Cooperstown first morning! Good Luck!

Otsdawa_Ridge_Runner

Postby Otsdawa_Ridge_Runner » April 24th, 2010, 9:45 am

Let the leaves come...you can inch in even closer to the roost without bumping them. [;)] Good luck to you guys next weekend. My hunt starts this tuesday morning coming. Hunting MA and then a week of leave back home in Otsego County.

Shoot em in the Face!

Mack
"I wish to make no connection with any ship that does not sail fast, for I intend to go in harms way"
-John Paul Jones

JeffCrez

Postby JeffCrez » April 25th, 2010, 5:37 am

Ridge Runner, Good luck in MA. and we'll save one in Otego for ya!

Otsdawa_Ridge_Runner

Postby Otsdawa_Ridge_Runner » April 25th, 2010, 5:10 pm

Thanks Jeffcrez! I will let you guys know how I make out.
"I wish to make no connection with any ship that does not sail fast, for I intend to go in harms way"
-John Paul Jones

endowilly

Postby endowilly » April 27th, 2010, 12:42 am

yeah the weather this year is a little crazy, i hunt near turkaholic, in davenport, delhi on private land and there are plenty of birds. I bought a blind this year to set up and if there right about the increase in black flies i'll be happy i bought it lol especially if this weekend is rainy. i had a stale fall, didnt see or hear much but spring is a war even though you can only hunt till noon. does anyone have tips on calling in the fall? i seem to do some basic yelps and purrs but never really know how far and how often i should call? any help would be appeciated

JeffCrez

Postby JeffCrez » April 27th, 2010, 4:07 am

endowilly, If you are just plain turkey huntin in the fall (gobs or hens) the kee-kee run lost call of a young jenny is by far the most effective fall call. It will often bring the brood hen with the whole flock especially if you have just scattered them. (which is a whole nother challenge) On the other hand, gobblers don't respond that well to calls in the fall.(Although they sometimes will) Often times very subtle calls are more realistic in talking to fall gobblers. A simple cluck or short gobbler yelp may work. I once called five toms to me right off a fall roost with loud (spring like) hen yelps. But that is the exception to the rule. Good luck and don't get too comfortable in that new blind and fall asleep!![:D][:D]

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » April 27th, 2010, 9:45 am

It really has greened up early here in NY. Usually you can see a ways in the woods during youth season, but it was definetly diff. this year. Muffled the gobbles a little bit too. I like the added cover though.
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

Return to New York