The T&TH Forums get even better!

For many, hunting can be a spiritual experience. Share those insights here. Hunters of all faiths and traditions are welcome.
Everyday Hunter

The T&TH Forums get even better!

Postby Everyday Hunter » April 21st, 2010, 12:26 pm

There are so many aspects of life that connect faith and hunting. As a speaker for sportsman's dinners, I see them all the time. I look forward to all the contributions here, and these new forums will make a great site even better.

Thanks, Ben.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Cut N Run

This is probably not going to go over well...

Postby Cut N Run » April 21st, 2010, 7:26 pm

I probably don't see things the same way as many folks here do, as I really don't think religion ought to be discussed on this forum. Each person's beliefs are just that, beliefs. I don't think that someone's faith ought to be worn on one's sleeve.  I think it is personal.  I am delighted that people have a strong faith. Great for all of us who do. Others may not share that same belief or conviction in that type of belief and shouldn't have to wade through it on a forum like this.  I belong to another board where the two main rules are no religion & no politics, and it works well.  On that board, there is a far greater number of participants, and more diverse membership from around the globe with incredibly different viewpoints than T&TH could ever hope to attain.  That board works well because each individual is entitled to express their views on faith & politics elsewhere.

Some religions believe that you will go to heaven in a Cadillac, while others think you may have to hitch-hike to get there. Still others believe in reincarnation. Ask any one of them who is right and they all believe theirs is the only way. On other boards where religion (& politics) are discussed things seldom go smoothly as different people of different beliefs see things in different ways.  Each has strong convictions and believe that "their" belief is "right" and others who don't see things the same way are "wrong".  Who can fault either side? They are just stating what they've been taught as "the only way" to worship throughout their entire lives.

I have been around the world and have seen many religious types do horrible things to their fellow man in the name of their god, including beating, cheating, robbing, maiming, stealing, killing, and on & on.  Most sacred religious writings are basically about how we humans can become better people and those writings are taught as a blueprint on how to be nice to our fellow man in our time here.  The fact is that the vast majority of people judge others on their "brand" of religion and do not see them for the individuals they are ( I'm sure many here are already judging what I have to say on the subject right now, even though nobody here knows what faith I follow).

How upset would some people here get if someone else started quoting verses out of the Koran? Or quotes from Budha?  Are they wrong?  See what I mean? 

Bad move T&TH, I say.  Keep it to yourself, or go to a board that follows your beliefs and celebrate them there. Save this for what it is, a turkey hunting opinion board. I understand that God has given you that turkey & the ability to harvest it, but that is between you & him.

Jim

Luck Counts, good or bad

Ben Sobieck

RE: This is probably not going to go over well...

Postby Ben Sobieck » April 22nd, 2010, 5:09 am

Cut n Run,

I appreciate your thoughtful comments about this new section of the T&TH forum. The intention was not to spur religious debate, but rather to provide a place where people could discuss the spiritual side of hunting. It's not limited to a certain point of view. As such, I think you just fulfilled its mission by expressing your beliefs about religion and hunting.

This section came about after requests from members of the forum. If it grows too divisive, I will take appropriate action. Hopefully, it won't come to that.

Thank you,

Ben

eggshell

Postby eggshell » April 22nd, 2010, 9:26 am

Things that make ya go Hmmmmm!

By the way Ben is that knot on your head from the rock that was just thrown at you?

I do see  your point to some extent Cut N Run, but if it comes to choosing between m y Lord and turkey hunting then turkey hunting loses. Yet I do believe that the great spiritualism that can be experienced in God's creation can be shared with civility, courtesy  and dignity. As a matter of fact Jesus would say just that, I believe. Yet I have rarely seen more stone throwing than takes place in a religious disagreement. Perhaps that is why the forum is called "Faith" In Hunting and not religious Hunting? As for me i am delighted in this new opportunity and hope that it stays civil.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » April 22nd, 2010, 11:29 am

I've been on message boards that are completely devoted to faith in connection with outdoor sports, others that are friendly to faith, and still others that try to ignore faith completely. All have the potential for vigorous disagreement as well as edifying discussion.

It seems to me that for this message board to devote one section to "Faith in Hunting" will keep the subject off other sections. Then, the easy answer for anyone not wanting to engage in discussion is the same as it is for anyone who doesn't want to talk about knitting or football -- don't click on message board topics that have to do with those things.

I don't know anything about those who make the decisions at T&TH and the discussions that led to this new topic, but I will say that to insulate people from discussion on religious subjects does no one any favor. It's an irony that lots of people in our society know little about Christianity (or for that matter any other faith), yet they're very sure of their views on what they know almost nothing about.

I was surprised to see the announcement, and I can say I wasn't one who asked for it. But I'll be here and offer what I have to say as I always do, trying to keep my words balanced and non-belligerent.

Best to all as we break this new ground.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Kawboy888

Postby Kawboy888 » April 22nd, 2010, 9:17 pm

Cut N Run, you don't have to view this section of the forum. If you don't like it or agree with the value of it's existance, don't come in here. No one is forcing you. In my opinion you Sir are way out of line and owe Ben and any others a big apology for stating that this forum has no business having an avenue to discuss faith. Shame on you for even thinking that you would have any right to make such a statement.

True believers feel that faith should be worn on their sleeves. Since we try and keep our religious views out of the other forums, it's nice that we can have this one little section to be with other believers, regardless of what God they follow or which denomination they practice under.

I too have been all over the world, including two tours in Saudi, two tours in Kuwait, Turkey for the Bosnia conflict and a year in Korea. I have seen many various forms of religion and I have seen people of different religious backgrounds get along. Not every one that's religious is an extremist.

The bottom line is that if this section of the forum is not your cup of tea, don't bother with it. But don't come in here condeming it's existance and try to pawn off a comparison of other forums in a manipulative attempt to degrade the success of this forum.

Someone once said, If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all. If you don't mind, if it's ok with you, we are going to press on with enjoying this new forum.

I'm proud to be a Christian and now I have an appropriate place to talk about it.

Thanks again Ben.
Rich Leathers
Leathers Archery
"Instruments of Mass Destruction"

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 23rd, 2010, 3:42 am

Rich, Steve, Dana, Ben, and to all others who come to this section.  I re-read my post and I did not correctly express what I truly intended to say & I'm sorry for that.  My only intention and hope was that this part of the forum did not become some sort of religious battleground, as I have seen some other sites transformed into. I know that it is not up to me to offer suggestions on how to run this site or the content involved within it.

I value the T&TH site and accept everyone's opinion who takes the time to post here.  Of course, all are entitled to say what they think, feel, or believe (within tasteful limits). Again, my intention was not to prevent others from expressing themselves in any way, but to hopefully prevent something I value from turning into a verbal slug-fest over one of the core rights guaranteed by our constitution.  I have seen it before and it is not pretty or pleasant.

If I offened anyone, I apologise. I was out of line.  I will not post on this topic again.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

eggshell

Postby eggshell » April 23rd, 2010, 5:55 am

To quote Jesus, "Your sins are forgiven" . 

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » April 23rd, 2010, 6:13 am

Zoe is in nature, you can see it.
 Faith is a revelation.
Zoe is life, God is life.
You know who God is through revelation. 

What's wrong with having a forum for that?
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

hoosierhunter

Postby hoosierhunter » April 23rd, 2010, 9:49 am

reboot
[img]local://214/2D3DFFE8352B41E3A81747EBOBC5F370[/IMAGE]

Next

Return to Faith in Hunting