Strutter decoy spinning

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
Cut N Run

Strutter decoy spinning

Postby Cut N Run » April 22nd, 2010, 4:32 pm

I got a Flambeau King Strut decoy at the close of last turkey season and used it for the first time last Monday morning.  It looks great, especially with a real turkey fan plugged in the back of it. The only thing I didn't like about it was that a slight breeze would cause it to spin around away from the hen decoy I was using.  Every time I see gobblers strutting for hens, they are giving the hen all the attention they can & NOT turning their back on them.  I wondered if anybody else had this problem & how they fixed it?

I took 16 inches of 15 lb. test fishing line and tied it to just below where the beard goes.  I have a 3 inch screw I will push into the ground to attach the other end of the line to help limit travel and act like an anchor for the strutter decoy.  The decoy really gets added realism by moving slightly in a breeze. I hope this fix it works.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Duke0002

RE: Strutter decoy spinning

Postby Duke0002 » April 22nd, 2010, 4:56 pm

Sounds like a good idea.  Is the 3" screw hefty enough?   Maybe one of those cheapo skinny metal tent stakes would work if the screw doesn't.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 22nd, 2010, 5:53 pm

ORIGINAL: Duke0002

Sounds like a good idea.  Is the 3" screw hefty enough?   Maybe one of those cheapo skinny metal tent stakes would work if the screw doesn't.

Thanks for the idea.  I hope the screw is long enough.  Luckily, it is a pretty light decoy.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » April 22nd, 2010, 6:33 pm

I've got the same decoy Jim, what I did was cut a 1/2" dowel and stick it in the ground behind the stake and slide the opening in the bottom of the decoy over it and it looks like the other leg of the bird, it'll swing a little but that doesn't hurt.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » April 23rd, 2010, 6:48 am

ORIGINAL: WillowRidgeCalls

I've got the same decoy Jim, what I did was cut a 1/2" dowel and stick it in the ground behind the stake and slide the opening in the bottom of the decoy over it and it looks like the other leg of the bird, it'll swing a little but that doesn't hurt.

Thanks, Scott. I'll give that a go.
Luck Counts, good or bad

Gbln Fvr

Postby Gbln Fvr » April 30th, 2010, 6:32 pm

The stick suggestion works the best for me.

Return to Strategies