hunting hours

Gobbler Down

hunting hours

Postby Gobbler Down » April 21st, 2010, 3:02 am

Did everybody see that the Game Commission is going to extend the hunting hours to all day from May 16-May 31 next year. I am pumped! How many times have I been working a gobbler only to have the dreaded noon hour approach. I cant wait.

PATURKEYHUNTER

RE: hunting hours

Postby PATURKEYHUNTER » April 21st, 2010, 10:24 am

I heard about this. I am usually out of the woods by then but it will help out the working man.

roughrider123

Postby roughrider123 » April 21st, 2010, 1:45 pm

When are they gonna move the season ahead a couple weeks? Its gonna be real thick in the woods by mid May this year, its already thick in the southeast. I hunt woods most of the time and quit by mid May because of foilage.

roughrider out.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » April 21st, 2010, 4:58 pm

The Game Commission started talking about this last year and the issue seems to be moving forward.

I dont understand why only two weeks and not the whole season like other states?

Jon
Turkeybuster

roughrider123

Postby roughrider123 » April 22nd, 2010, 4:09 am

All day the early season would be nice, I'm not a fan of warm late May at all anyway.

roughrider out.

Uncle Nicky1

Postby Uncle Nicky1 » April 22nd, 2010, 4:13 am

It is about time the PGC got with the program![:D]

Glad to see they're allowing extended hours next year.
Glad they allowed fall turkey hunting with dogs.
Now, they have to open Sunday hunting like everywhere else. Maybe open spring turkey a couple weeks earlier![;)]

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » May 12th, 2010, 5:43 am

Turkeybuster.

I read an article about the proposed change in the hunting hours. According to the article, the reason the game commission is draging their feet about it is because of the high rate of gobbler harvests. According to them, hunters in Pa tend to pass up shooting a jake and go for a full grown tom. Which on on hand says alot for the Pa hunter to hold out for a longbeard. But the flip side of that is that if the percentage of gobblers being harvested gets too high then it will take away from the chances of hunters getting a big tom. I can understand their resoning to a point. But from the numbers of turkey population in the article and what I have read about the population and harvest nubers in other states, Pa has one of the highest turkey populations in the country. Granted the hunting pressure is pretty high in some areas, but in my area the prssure is not so intense. Opening day there was hardly anyone out in the area I hunt. Basicaly just around 5 guys I have known for years. So we made sure not to tread on each others toes.

The article is in "Pennsylvania outdoor news". Check it out and let me know what you think about it.
If it gobbles,runs on gas, or is married to you it will give you trouble!

paturkeyhunter29

Postby paturkeyhunter29 » May 12th, 2010, 11:18 am

Not sure how I feel about it yet, guess we'll see next year. I don't like that they pushed the
fall season back a week. I think alot of guys will be roost shooting the birds at the end of the
day next season.
Love to hear the turkeys talk!

wingbone

Postby wingbone » May 12th, 2010, 1:29 pm

I like the idea. Wondered if they would follow Ohio's lead.

Now if we could get Sunday hunting!

rsmithpa

Postby rsmithpa » May 13th, 2010, 3:21 am

I did not like the all day rule.  I would like to see Sunday hunting instead.  Funny how the PGC told you for years that couldn't hunt all day because of nesting concerns.  Now that their revenue is down because they screwed up the deer population, its seems ok to go to all day hunting.  The color of the world is green and that is what they want, money.
What happen to conservation and game management?  Just some random thoughts
Full Fans, Longbeards, and Sharp Spurs

Next

Return to Pennsylvania