How many shot on the opener????

mossbergboy

How many shot on the opener????

Postby mossbergboy » April 20th, 2010, 1:31 am

So how many people out there shot a turkey on opening day? Lets hear the stories and all

Duke0002

RE: How many shot on the opener????

Postby Duke0002 » April 20th, 2010, 6:47 am

Heading out on Thursday.  Good luck to all the Buckeye hunters!

mcvitullo

Postby mcvitullo » April 20th, 2010, 7:42 am

247limbhanger and I are having some really close but no cigar encounters but we have yet to fill a tag. I had a HUGE paint brush long beard at 50 yards and I kinda wish I would of taken the shot but I didnt feel comforable. Tomarrow is the day!!!!!
Fall turkey hunting is boring?! Have fun sitting in your deer stand....

247limbhanger

Postby 247limbhanger » April 20th, 2010, 11:36 am

haven't had any good luck yet, but it will come just need some time. had a pretty exciting morning, had birds go the other way off roust (walked right by ware i set up yesterday). then at my next spot i set up in a field, within 20 min had a strutter come out then a hen took him away! he came back out and 3 toms chased him off and that was it.
two in the freezer is better than two in the tree.

Gobbler Down

Postby Gobbler Down » April 21st, 2010, 3:13 am

I filled my tag at 9:30 on Monday. Im from Pa and we have a 250 acre lease in Belmont County and I didnt have time to scout so I went in blind. At first light our property was roaring with gobblers. I heard at least 6 different mature birds. We set up on two that were gobbling off and on. They flew down and went down in a creek bottom with hens.The shut up for a while so we then went to the other side of the property and heard the same two sounding off again, so we tried to get closer. We were walking on a gas line and came up over a hill and at the bottom of the gas line were two birds in full strut. We backed off about 30 yds, did a little soft calling and the next thing you know two hens came up over the hill followed by 2 strutters. They gobbled no more than 20 yds from me and I knew it was time for me to shoot. He had a 9 in beard, 20lbs, and 1 in spurs.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » April 21st, 2010, 8:21 am

Three days now ,,,no birds worked ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,public land ,,,,,,lots of pressure this season .
 The sun sets each day with less numbers of roosting hens and the gobblers continue to scatter.

Return to Ohio