Turkey DAMAGE ABATEMENT AND CLAIMS PROGRAM

charlie elk

Turkey DAMAGE ABATEMENT AND CLAIMS PROGRAM

Postby charlie elk » February 26th, 2010, 11:53 am

Someone who because I am polite will be left unnamed who, apparently a new user; sent me a private message referring to me as a liar.
He does not believe WI has a turkey depredation problem that is addressed by the WDNR issuing shooting permits.
There are areas in WI where the farmers are near desperation for someone to help them control the turkey population on their lands and will gladly grant access to ethical & responsible hunters free of charge.

Well here is the info for all to see.  Use the link to access a list of farmers who have received shooting permits.  These guys must allow hunting on their lands as described.

https://dnrx.wisconsin.gov/wdacp/public/enrollment/2010/turkey

2010 WDACP Enrollment Report"Wisconsin's Wildlife Damage Program has requirements which farmers need to fulfill for program assistance. The core requirement of this program is hunting access. HUNTING ON LANDS NOT ENROLLED IN THE PROGRAM, WITHOUT PERMISSION OF THE LANDOWNER, IS TRESPASSING. Parking is restricted to designated areas; vehicular access is prohibited; and use of existing hunting stands or blinds is prohibited, unless specific permission is granted by the enrollee. ENROLLEES SHALL NOT CHARGE ANY FEES FOR HUNTING, HUNTING ACCESS, OR ANY OTHER ACTIVITY THAT INCLUDES HUNTING THE SPECIES CAUSING THE DAMAGE. Hunting is only allowed for the species causing the damage, unless authorized by the landowner. Each farmer has two options available to them for assistance. Each option has a hunting access requirement. The first wildlife damage program option is OPEN PUBLIC HUNTING (OPH). This option provides the farmer with all program services. Hunting access on the property enrolled is unlimited for the species causing the damage, but the hunter must notify the enrollee or their plans to hunt. The hunter is responsible to limit their hunting only to properties enrolled in the program. The second wildlife damage program option is MANAGED HUNTING ACCESS (MHA). Under this plan, the farmer's enrolled property is assigned a minimum daily hunting requirement. This hunting access requirement is the number of hunters that need to be allowed access, based on 2 hunters/40 acres of huntable land. The hunting access is based on "presence of" language. This means that enrollees may not deny permission unless their hunting requirement is met with hunters on the property at that exact time. Hunters must contact the participating farmer and obtain permission. The farmer is required to keep a daily hunting log to document the hunting access requirement. Farmers that received a Shooting Permit for the species causing the damage are required to enroll in the Wildlife Damage Abatement and Claims Program. Access hunters, who seek to hunt during the regular hunting season using their regular licenses and tags, may receive an extra tag under an enrollee's Shooting Permit. The farmer has sole discretion for Shooting Permit tag distribution. However, Shooting Permit tag denial is NOT hunting access denial."

Click this link for a list of the open lands.
https://dnrx.wisconsin.gov/wdacp/public/enrollment/2010/turkey
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Steve_In

RE: Turkey DAMAGE ABATEMENT AND CLAIMS PROGRAM

Postby Steve_In » February 26th, 2010, 2:49 pm

So to get a depredation permit he needs to allow hunting?  At 2 hunters per 40 acres that could get crowded.  Can they take hens in the spring too?
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

charlie elk

RE: Turkey DAMAGE ABATEMENT AND CLAIMS PROGRAM

Postby charlie elk » February 28th, 2010, 11:38 am

At 2 hunters per 40 acres that could get crowded

Not really you find a partner and hunt together, you get the place to yourselves and on this type of land I've seen, the turkeys are thick.

Hens are legal in the spring on most of the permits. The permit is different than the tag issued to hunters. On one hunt I did few years ago using landowner shooting permits was in early March. The landowners do not have to share their permits with hunters.
The goal is population control.

During the regular season hunters must be allowed to hunt the land using the the tags they drew or the OTC purchased.

Not a bad program, just sad turkeys are not appreciated by all.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Return to Wisconsin