Pennsylvania questions

mcvitullo

Pennsylvania questions

Postby mcvitullo » March 2nd, 2010, 5:15 am

This year, I plan to exend my turkey seasons and hunt PA for spring and fall. Do you have to buy your second tag before season even opens or can you buy it after you harvasted your first gobbler? I know fall turkey is open on Sunday but is it open on Sunday in the spring? Is there even a such thing as a fall turkey tag ?    Thanks for the help!!
Fall turkey hunting is boring?! Have fun sitting in your deer stand....

swpatrkyhunter

RE: Pennsylvania questions

Postby swpatrkyhunter » March 2nd, 2010, 9:18 am

Hi mcvitullo!
   I think you got some wrong info about Sunday hunting in pa. Not sure if it depends on what WMU your hunting in but as far as I know the only game your really allowed to hunt on Sundays is coyotes and crows. As for the second tag for Spring turkey. It must be purchased before season starts. You should go to the PGC website and read the online regulation book, (Hunting and trapping digest). No sense goin on a hunt in another state unless you know ALL the regulations. Different WMU's have different rules. In fall, for instance, Some WMU's are shotgun or bow ONLY. Where others,( although I would not), You can use a rifle. Spring gobbler is shotgun or bow only in all WMU's.  I hunt in Fayette County, which is WMU 2C where I hunt. There are some good areas to hunt. Do you know where you plan to go? Are you familier with the area? Public or Private land?
If it gobbles,runs on gas, or is married to you it will give you trouble!

mcvitullo

Postby mcvitullo » March 3rd, 2010, 4:48 am

I plan to hunt in WMUs 1A,1B, and 2F. So far I got one private spot. I think it is in 2F but I still have to confirm it. It is our family friend's cousin's property which is 198 acres. I'm not going to lie, but the article in T&TH in the March issue about National forests got me interested in the Allengeny National Forest and I'm going to do some scouting as soon as the weather gets a little more favorable, once the snow melts more and I can walk easier. Crawford county is about a half hour drive from my house so I'm going to try to get some spots there. I know there is some public land not too far from the border. So I'm not familar with where I'm hunting but I can't wait to get some scouting in!
Fall turkey hunting is boring?! Have fun sitting in your deer stand....

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » March 3rd, 2010, 5:19 am

I have not as of yet hunted the Allegehny national forest. There is a tract in Fayette county called Quebec Run Wild Area. It is around 6,000 acres. Good hunting. Also there is Forbes State Forest which part of butts up against Quebec Run Wild area. Forbes has a couple different sections to it. The one section I hunt runs along some private ground I hunt alot. Not sure how the recent snow will effect the turkey numbers but hopefully they will sustain. Evry year I usually keep watch on about 4 or 5 flocks with about 20 to 30 birds in each in the areas I hunt. So when Spring rolls around they are spread out pretty good so there is always a place to find them. Good luck!
If it gobbles,runs on gas, or is married to you it will give you trouble!

Return to Pennsylvania