Turkey history in MN

dewey

Turkey history in MN

Postby dewey » April 14th, 2010, 4:28 am

Here is a Star Tribune article talking about the history of the wild turkey here in the land of the Vikings.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/outdoors/90797489.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUgOahccyiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUs

If you want to laugh or get mad a little bit read the comments at the bottom of the page, freaking liberals ragging on hunters for shooting the turkeys[:@][:@][:@].

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

dewey

RE: Turkey history in MN

Postby dewey » April 15th, 2010, 8:57 am

ORIGINAL: moore
most people i have talk to and hunting comes up ill tell them that i turkey hunt and i get this look. dewy do you get it. the look is like why hunt those you can just buy it at cub or any other grocrey store. what do you guys think

I get that look once in a while but for the most part I don't get that look because most of the people I associate with are hunters and hunters understand that it is not just about harvesting a turkey/deer/elk/pheasant/etc. as it is as much enjoying the great outdoors.

In 2008 when I started turkey hunting I didn't know anyone else that hunted the wily gobblers, however this spring I have a 10 year old nephew, and 4 other friends going with me to hunt turkeys.  I think once you go out into the woods and do a little calling and get a gobbler to call back that is when you are hooked.  It is unbelievable to have a gobbler gobble and you swear to god he is standing on your shoulders because it sounds so loud.

OK I am done.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

turkey junky

Re: Turkey history in MN

Postby turkey junky » September 1st, 2011, 10:45 pm

my dad was part of the 79 season & bagged a MERRIAMS GOBBLER BANDED FROM THE BLASCK HILLS OF SD... he also rolled a bird MERRIAMS the day b4 & it took 2 wing & my dads friend shoot it out of the air that 2 was from the BLACK HILLS OF SD also... we also hunt on land in HOUSTON COUNTY that was part of the early trap and transplants threwout the state they also caught ruffed grouse from the area for the trade with missouri we gave walleye & ruffed grouse MO gave eastern sub species wild turkeys we also traded SD walleyes & ruffed grouse... i remember im my life time when u could walk around in the spring in south eastern MN & hear or kick up RUFFED GROUSE,GRAY PARTRIDGE aka huns ,BOB WHITE QUAIL,RING NECK PHEASANT & EASTERN WILD TURKEYS TURKEYS!!! been awhile since ive seen the huns or wild bob whites or ruffed grouse but pheasant & turkeys are all over... deer also

Return to Minnesota