Can't getem to answer an owl/crow call

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
texasbax

Can't getem to answer an owl/crow call

Postby texasbax » April 13th, 2010, 11:01 am

Have been rohunting hard everyday for a week and have not heard one gobbler. Hunting in Texas on private land that has very little pressure. The property is over 1600 acres. Have seen hens everyday exclusively in the afternoon on dirtroads appearing to forage for food.
I am using a Knight & Hale shock gobbler owl call and a crow call. I use the owl call about 30 minutes before daylight and then around 9 if I have not heard anything I will use my crow call. At almost dark, I again use my owl call. I have not heard a thing!!!!! I know there are birds there. I see tons of tracks and poop in the road but no gobbling.
I have used these calls in the past with very good success. When I don't hear anything in the morning, I find myself a pretty open spot and soft call every 12 to 15 minutes. Nada. Silch. Nothing.
Can anyone give me some advise, help? The weather has been off and on. One day it's windy and overcast the next it's sunny and warm.  Just can't figure it out.
I park my truck at the front of the entrance gate and walk in about two miles so I know I am not disturbing the birds that way. After it gets light, I am very careful and walk slow and easy. I never call from the road, always at least 50 yards away from the road.
Welcome any ideas, suggestion. Getting pretty frustrating. But, the season is till almost three more weeks (May 2) so I am not giving up. I plan to hunt everyday except the weekend morning and afternoon. Someone give me some expert advise. Thanks for the help.

tracebusta32

RE: Can't getem to answer an owl/crow call

Postby tracebusta32 » April 13th, 2010, 12:53 pm

Use that crow call when the sun is up but they are still on the roost, but as with anything turkey hunting, there are no guarantee's.
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » April 13th, 2010, 2:06 pm

Hi texasbax! Welcome to the forum!

A couple thing you need to consider. First. Seeing signs that turkeys are in the area is a good thing. But at what times are they there? 1600 acres is alot of ground to cover. Find where the birds are roosting FIRST! Then slip in as close as you can without treading in their comfort zone. Use the signs your seeing to help you find where they are roosting. Backtrack them to there point of origin, then find what trees they are using. If the area your finding poop is used quite a bit hang out there and watch for the birds to travel back through to their roost. Knowing the birds travel patterns is important, cause as you have found out, sometimes they just don't answer to the usual locator calls.

Second thing! Try other locator calls. Woodpecker,coyote, peacock, red tailed hawk, etc.... I always carry a few differant locator calls just in case the usual owl and crow don't get a response. Once I actually located a tom useing a rabbit squealer!  Good luck!
If it gobbles,runs on gas, or is married to you it will give you trouble!

mark hay

Postby mark hay » April 13th, 2010, 2:10 pm

I can give some advice ,,,not expert though .
 Have you tried a coyote howler ? Open reed trumpet style will get earbusting loud . Send them some rapid barks and a series of long howls .
 Or a brayin' donkey
 Or a squeeze type bicycle horn ,,,it works ,,,carryin' one myself
 Let out some long bellows like a cow,,something they ain't used to hearing .

As for the birds not gobbling ,,,they'll come around again ,,,probably in one of those cycles ,,,,,,,,,,,I have endured the same thing myself here in Ohio.

texasbax

Postby texasbax » April 13th, 2010, 3:55 pm

All,
Thanks for the great suggestions. Think I will try different locator calls and see what happens. As far as locating roosting turkeys that will also be a priority. Will also keep the calls soft and do a lot of listening. Thanks again. Will keep you all posted on progress.

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » April 13th, 2010, 6:25 pm

Switch up your owl and crow calls.  They may be used to the ones you are using.  Find a couple of dusting bowls and wipe all tracks to see if the birds are still there.  They have moved on over the hill for a while.

Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

texasbax

Postby texasbax » April 14th, 2010, 7:23 am

Steve,
Thanks for the reply. I have changed crow calls and picked up a coyote call this morning. By the way, I did not hear anything again this morning. Great morning, too. No wind and very nice. Used the owl call about 30 minutes before daybreak and then went to the crow as soon as the sun came up.
Only saw about 10 hogs and passed them up, I want a turkey.
Anyother suggestions anyone has will be appreciated. Thanks.

texasbax

Postby texasbax » April 15th, 2010, 4:50 am

ok, went back out this morning and hit the owl call around 6:15 and got an answer right off the bat. Although it was a good distance away I walked closer and hit the owl call again and got another answer but much closer.
When it got near light I yelped a couple of times and got an immediated double gobble. For the next 45 minutes we talked back and forth. I was on the edge of a big open pasture and he was in a cedar thicket. He came to the edge of the field and stopped. He just wouldn't come in the open. He left and made a big circle and came in behind me. I cut at him and here he comes. He was incredible. Strutting and druming his way to me. When he got about 30 yards from me I took the safety off, aimed, and CLICK! I was freakin out. I was able to chamber another round, aimed, and CLICK again.
Although I didn't get the bird it was a great hunt. He will live to hunt again. He was awesome.
I believe the calls are working now, the birds could have been in a funck for a day or so.
Thanks to all for the advise, I guess I need a gunsmith now, huh. Anyway, great, great time. Can't wait to get back out there tomorrow.

Rennat

Postby Rennat » April 18th, 2010, 12:56 pm

what was wrong with the gun? or did someone forget ammo? lol

BigBuckeye

Postby BigBuckeye » April 20th, 2010, 5:08 am

TXBax,
I am new to TX and new to gobbler-gittin' too.  What an addiction it has become.
One experience I can share so far is, I was set up before light and enjoying a power nap and a couple to a few coyotes barked and howled.  That set off about 6 gobblers.  I haven't had much luck on public land yet, shock gobbling but I will trying the coyote howler soon.  I have several others but they appear to be in a low period of gobbling right now and I expect that cycle to pick up here in a week or so.

Good luck.  Shoot straight but not straight at me [:D]
I can't get any sleep!!!

Arnie

Next

Return to Strategies