fall opener 08' & 09'

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
craigr

fall opener 08' & 09'

Postby craigr » April 2nd, 2010, 3:51 pm

Was a short hunt for me Tues. Oct. 14 opener for Ont. 1'st fall hunt, made it out to my spot just after 12 noon and got to the field edge to scan. Caught a glimpse of some head's poking up over the top's of the soy bean's and kept my eye on them hoping they were tom's but nope, once I realized they were all this year's bird's and hen's I decided to bust them. Got to about 15 yrd's of them and bird's started flying everywhere 60 plus i'm guessing. Went to the other side of the field and waitied 10 min's and started yelping and they started to answer back and the regrouping started. Was'nt planning on shooting a hen but after seeing that many I had NO problem at all and my 1'st fall bird was down by 1 pm.
Left the house about 7:25 and was at the bush about 7:40.
Started my way in along a ditch that runs through the property with an idea of where I wanted to go. Found my tree and got my spot ready and sat down and NOPE I had to drop a DUFER first (DAMN TIM HORTONS COFFEE) so ventured 15 yrds away and did my deed and the hunt was on.
Didn't know what to expect but the birds started to yelp and cluck within a 100 yrds or so from me, so yelped back with a response back at me.
Afew more yelps and cutt once at them they started to move closer. Finally caught a glimpse of them and started to whine and scatch the leaves and a single hen broke from the flock and came to within 25 yrds of the barrel and my hunt was over by 8:30.
11 lbs

turkeydoghunter

RE: fall opener 08' & 09'

Postby turkeydoghunter » April 3rd, 2010, 9:21 am

nice bird
Break em at Night...Back at light

Return to Fall Hunting