Saturday the hunt renews

roughrider123

Saturday the hunt renews

Postby roughrider123 » March 19th, 2010, 2:59 pm

I will be at my favorite area game lands at daybreak listening for 2010's first gobble. Gonna make a quick count of birds, see if I can sneak in on a flydown area and get a direction of travel, then I'm headed a few miles to check out a new to me game land spot.

I'm pumped, Roughrider out [:D]

Turkeybuster

RE: Saturday the hunt renews

Postby Turkeybuster » March 21st, 2010, 7:54 am

They are starting to get fired up you should have heard some thismorning. Good Luck!
Jon
Turkeybuster

roughrider123

Postby roughrider123 » March 22nd, 2010, 1:44 pm

Saturday dawned a little chilly, was all quiet so I stired up some crows and still nothing. Took a quick look , no scat so I looked around on way out and heared some gobble up on the ridge. 3 to 5 birds I'm guessing headed north. Got a GPS spot and headed out. Lots of game land access closed to road conditions. Up again this weekend.

Roughrider out [:D]

beardhunter

Postby beardhunter » March 22nd, 2010, 2:55 pm

Hey Turkeybuster, How's the turkey hunting around Harrisburg? I have been traveling route 15 @ 94 into Hanover since Janurary (and still am) and have not seen  any birds out in the fields. I talked to some local guys at work and they say there are not many around. One guy has trail cams out (last couple of fall seasons) and only got pics of birds once. Is this true what i am hearing? I might still be stuck working down here come turkey season. If thats the case, is there any state land nearby? Just wondering.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » March 22nd, 2010, 4:56 pm

Hi ZEKE
You are going too far south to see any birds but North of Harrisburg in the mountains you will find birds. The farther North you go the better the hunting will be. There is a lot of private land and that is the biggest problem. There are some State Game Lands located in this area that is open to hunting also.
JON
Turkeybuster

beardhunter

Postby beardhunter » March 23rd, 2010, 1:10 pm

Turkeybuster, thanks for the info. I was looking at a map and found game lands 242 @ 243 do you think they hold any birds?

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » March 24th, 2010, 6:05 am

I am not familiar with them where are they located and what area are you from.
Jon
Turkeybuster

beardhunter

Postby beardhunter » March 24th, 2010, 2:00 pm

Turkey buster I am from luzerne county. I hunt in luzerne, Wyoming, Sullivan, susquehanna counties mostly private ground. Plenty of big woods public grounds to roam on. I have harvested birds on public, but you have to go deep to get away from the pressure. The game lands are near round top ski resort.

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » March 24th, 2010, 5:49 pm

Zeke there are some birds in that area a friend of mine lives in that area and he does see some on accasion. I think it would be worth a try at least check it out for sign.
I hunt a lot in upper Lycoming, Tioga and Potter Co.
Jon
Turkeybuster

MAK

Postby MAK » March 26th, 2010, 6:58 am

I live just South of those gamelands, and don't hunt them (I hunt in WMU's 4A, 4B and 4D (Huntingdon, Mifflin and Juniata Counties). I believe you'd have better luck on gamelands West or East of Harrisburg.   

Next

Return to Pennsylvania