New Guides & Outfitters Forum

Planning a guided turkey hunt? Looking for tips in choosing the best outfitter? Discuss options here.
thumper

RE: New Guides & Outfitters Forum

Postby thumper » March 16th, 2010, 4:25 pm

Im looking to hunt in wisconsin in may. Does anyone know of an outfitter in the madison area? Or some good public land for a diy out of towner!

J Hook Max

Postby J Hook Max » March 22nd, 2010, 12:05 am

I am going to answer this from a guide's point of view.When someone calls me about a hunt,I like to explain as much as poosible about what someone should expect and/or need for their trip.I would expect anyone to want references before spending their hard earned money.
  I liked the comment about checking references with those who did not kill a turkey.I have had clients who were not successful due to weather and other factors and I have had perfect weather and still could not call them in a bird.Turkeys are sometimes like that and if you have hunted them very much you should already know that.Personally,anyone with a near 100% success rate on Eastern's is probably baiting in some way or having you ambush turkeys from food plots.Hunting them the right way and calling them will result in many unsuccessful days on even the best of properties.
  I would offer unguided hunts,but some people may not know where all the boundray lines of your land are.Also,being familiar with the lay of the land and knowing where the turkeys like to frequent gives the hunter a huge advantage.
  I will say one other thing.When I started guiding turkey hunters,I was worried about dealing with greedy,unethical hunters.I have yet to encounter them.I have yet to spend even one spring morning in the woods with someone whose company I did not enjoy.Most people paying for guided hunts are usually trying to get in some hunting before the season opens in their state or just wanting to check out some other part of the country.They are usually serious about turkey hunting and not just turkey killing.

J Hook Max

Postby J Hook Max » March 22nd, 2010, 12:08 am

Tennessee has some very good public hunting.The guy was right about checking with TWRA.The best hunting is in Middle Tennessee.Land Between the Lakes also has some excellent hunting in Tennessee and Kentucky as does the Ft. Campbell Army Base.

Previous

Return to Guides & Outfitters