Predator control expensive?

Comments and suggestions about T&TH are welcome here.
mcvitullo

Predator control expensive?

Postby mcvitullo » March 4th, 2010, 5:09 am

I appoligize for starting another thread but I can't figure something out. In the Biology Q&A, there was a section on predator control. Mr. Willams said extensive predator control is expensive and he doesn't recommend it. I could understand if you were hireing a professional trapper to do it but how can it be expensive if you were trapping yourself? A dozen snares cost about $15. Thats 12 potentaially dead predators. If its legal in your state, a dozen 220 conibears cost $60-$90 and you can use those over and over again. A dozen 1 1/2 coilsprings cost $50. A resident trappers licence is most of the time is cheaper than a hunting or fishing licence. You can normally find a local trapper to buy you harvasted fur bearers if fur handling isn't your thing. It really isn't expensive if you trap your turkey spots yourself. In the article it says nesting success increased three fold. Isn't maybe $200 of your money for trapping equipment that will last you for decades worth that? Depending on your fur handleing skills, you can make money. Trapping is a very important wildlife management tool that every sportsmen should learn to do it. Not only is it good for your turkeys, its also fun. Not trying to critize Lovett Willams work which I really enjoy reading and I learn a lot from, I think trapping predators is very cost effective and should be practiced by anyone who truely cares about wildlife management.
Fall turkey hunting is boring?! Have fun sitting in your deer stand....

Mossberg835

RE: Predator control expensive?

Postby Mossberg835 » March 8th, 2010, 5:46 am

I agree w/u mcvitullo. Trapping is a great way to control predators and more people should do it, including myself. I have a friend who loves to fish and hunt turkeys + deer, but during the winter when he cant, he traps. He gets coyotes, foxes, skunks(really big predator of nests), raccoons(just as big a problem as skunks), etc. This helps control the predators in the area, and he makes $$$$. He also has the chance to trap some interesting animals once in a while too. He found a big surprise in the form of a Male FISHER in one of his traps! They are not common in our part of the state(NY), so it was really cool. There is no season for them in our area, so he did the right thing and let it go, and then contacted the Department of Environmental Conservation(DEC) so they knew about the fisher being in the area. It was really cool and this is another great example why people should trap, not just to help the turkeys, but also to aquire good memories like that.
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

mcvitullo

Postby mcvitullo » March 10th, 2010, 4:28 am

Wow! A fisher! That was really responsable to let it go. I bet alot of guys would of let temptation get the better of them.

Mossberg835

Postby Mossberg835 » March 10th, 2010, 5:05 am

U are right about temptation getting in the way for a lot of people. My friend though is a very responsible sportsman and abides by all the laws, etc.[:D]
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

fightingspurs

Postby fightingspurs » March 20th, 2010, 9:16 am

Hey i do my part in predator control I shot a 55lb coyote female this year and still taking out these menaces. We had a server problem with them up here in New York but are trying to deal with it as far as skunks and coons go we trap and shoot em. And we are seeing great results from it ....
Fightingspurs game calls - GOT BLOOD!!!

mcvitullo

Postby mcvitullo » March 20th, 2010, 11:34 am

Holy crap, 55 lbs ?!?!?!?!?!?!?

fightingspurs

Postby fightingspurs » March 20th, 2010, 4:02 pm

Yep we growem big in central New york..... I will post picks of her when i can figure out how to do this ........lol Im having her stuffed full mount. That is nothing i seen this year on a who brings in the biggest coyote comp. a guy brought in a 64 lb and won hands down it was amazing that yota was eating good....
Fightingspurs game calls - GOT BLOOD!!!

TeocTom

Postby TeocTom » January 16th, 2011, 4:16 pm

The hills where i hunt have become over run with coyotes and bobcats.
The most brutal thing i ever witnessed was a bobcat attacking and killing a coyote.

I have almost been run over by coyote during deer season.
For some reason whenever i see a coyote within the next five to ten minutes a bobcat is following on its trail. Predators are getting out of hand in MS.
I need to take a few out.
Eric
Team 4
Turkeys on a Plane

Return to Magazine Feedback