Lookin for Instructions for building box calls

Support for hopelessly addicted turkey call collectors
Ruttinbull

Lookin for Instructions for building box calls

Postby Ruttinbull » March 17th, 2010, 9:43 am

New here.

Intro on myself. Generally I do all my turkey hunting by using my voice as a call. I would estimate that 90% of my calling is voice. However, there are days... usually at the end of the season when the old yelper just aint yelpin. I get a thrill out of catchin fish on my own home-made raggy hand-tied flies, shooting big game with reloads tailored for my own rifle... and now I want to build my own calls. I have been building some rather generic slate and glass calls. These have been working rather well. Now I would like to build a nice box call. Eventually I would like to build a set of nice calls for all my daughters.

I have looked at or read a good portion of the posts and am amazed at all the quality workmanship. I would be money ahead by sending cash to a few of you... but that is not the point!

I have found some plans for some glue together calls and plan on trying that out soon. However I really enjoy the solid box calls. Does anyone care to share tips or plans or perhaps a link on how to build some of these beautiful art pieces?

Thanking you in advance.

Randy

Everyday Hunter

RE: Lookin for Instructions for building box calls

Postby Everyday Hunter » March 17th, 2010, 9:58 am

Welcome, Randy.

I'm guessing a few people here can help you. Here's another place where you'll find lots of callmakers gathered:
Custom Calls Online.

Good luck.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Ruttinbull

Postby Ruttinbull » March 17th, 2010, 1:15 pm

That tutorial absolutely rocked. I cannot wait to try.

Fargohunt

Postby Fargohunt » March 18th, 2010, 4:21 pm

My recommendation is to keep reading and start in on a block of wood--trial and error is a sure bet, if your handy and I figure you are, to find peace and build yourself a darn good call in the fun process.  I think you would have better success by working with a solid block of wood rather than a glue-up.  I think it is more challenging and to me challenge and adversity always brings out the best.  I don't know of any instructions and doubtful many of the masters are about to give any trade secrets, but if you go to www.customcalls.com, look up under Turkey box and paddle calls and see the very first thread under important topics "How I make a box call" posted by Frozen Crow it is a great tutorial on how to make a box call.  I don't recall the makers name, but he did a fine job showing and explaining how HE does it.  There are variations of course and by your description I am willing to bet you will adapt your own approach and style and do just fine--enjoy!

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » March 18th, 2010, 6:29 pm

Frozen Crow is Lee Smith
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Fargohunt

Postby Fargohunt » March 23rd, 2010, 3:41 am

Thanks Scott!  Nice looking blackwood & Ash box BTW!

expresshost

Postby expresshost » March 31st, 2010, 4:11 am

ORIGINAL: Ruttinbull

I have found some plans for some glue together calls and plan on trying that out soon. However I really enjoy the solid box calls. Does anyone care to share tips or plans or perhaps a link on how to build some of these beautiful art pieces?

Thanking you in advance.

Randy

Hi Randy,

Found a nice booklet on making custom calls below.

The Turkey Call

Ruttinbull

Postby Ruttinbull » April 6th, 2010, 4:02 pm

Thanks much to all who have posted.

I have been very busy lately building slate calls. Very rough but functional. Did one last night where I carved out a raised relief of my Oregon State Police badge. I are one. It is a beautiful piece of some exotic type of walnut and has some wavy grain to it. The raised relief is very rough but recognizable. I plan on giving the call to another game warden who is having troubles calling them in.
Randy

PS. Still have not built a box call... but gaining the courage daily.

expresshost

Postby expresshost » April 6th, 2010, 4:24 pm

Glad to hear it...they say a box call is the easiest to build....and I an sure being a trooper, you have a lot of courage....Thank you for your service and I am am sure your local game warden will appreciate the effort you created for him or her.

Best of luck

Ruttinbull

Postby Ruttinbull » April 6th, 2010, 4:33 pm

Those were kind words and I, as well as the other goof balls I work with, appreciate them. We are people too.

Back to reality... I am looking over at my daughter (13) and my step-daughter (22) sitting in the same recliner, each with a cell phone, and each texting someone. Lord help us!

Oh.... the step-daughters boyfriend is going to get one of my calls tonight. He hung out with me as I rough worked it, then drank my beer as I sanded it. The good part is that he may come with 1200 acres of turkey hunting. Even without the turkey ground, he is a nice kid.

Return to Call Collecting