Turkey Season Will Change if Senate Bill Passes

tpedretti

RE: Turkey Season Will Change if Senate Bill Passes

Postby tpedretti » March 17th, 2010, 5:50 am

Putt as far as us having no input. we do in the way of emailing the right people
The last email I got from senator hoelprin was that this bill is on hold until like April 21 i think it was.
Simply. I think this is just to much change to fast.
I would agree with 3 seasons instead of 6.
Also If a Hunter commits to Bow Hunt only let them Hunt anytime In April.
April Hunting  Needs to be controlled. Make May wide open.

grouse

Postby grouse » March 18th, 2010, 6:06 am

It makes no sense to limit the season the way they do now I hope it passes.

putt

Postby putt » May 21st, 2010, 1:34 pm

Here's a couple of recent news items of note to Wisconsin turkey hunters.

First, Senate Bill 481 appears to be dead.  The Wis Bill tracking website (http://www.legis.state.wi.us/2009/data/SB481hst.html ) lists its status as of 4/22 as "Failed to pass pursuant to Senate Joint Resolution 1".  Since I wasn't sure if this meant the Bill was dead or simply delayed, I emailed the Senate Chief Clerk.  His reply was "The short answer is that the bill is dead.  Here's the long answer.  The Wisconsin Legislature operates on a biennial session schedule which is established every odd-numbered January as Senate Joint Resolution 1.  Among other things, that Joint Resolution specifies that any bill that fails to pass by the end of the last session day is considered dead, barring any extraordinary session being called."

The second note of interest is a very good May 19 article in the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel "Wisconsin Takes the Turkey title" http://www.jsonline.com/sports/outdoors/94351184.html

The article says that in 2009 for the first time Wisconsin harvested more turkeys than any other state, "... according to figures compiled by the turkey federation and interviews with state agencies".  Wisconsin harvested 52,581 turkeys.  The next closest state was Missouri with 44,713.  Wisconsin hunters ... appreciate how far this state has come in such a relatively short time.  It can go the other way.  I've read that more than one state has suffered declines in recent years.  An example listed in this article is Alabama that had recorded as many as 60,000+ turkeys in past years.  Alabama's 2009 harvest was 36,600. 

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » May 30th, 2010, 12:50 pm

I would not take the high harvest in WI as an indication of broad hunter success.  For the experienced veteran turkey hunter they can have phenomenal success.  In the sited article the featured hunter Bill Torhorst shot 2 birds in 10 minutes.  That after helping 2 new hunters tag out. (bless him for that). 

The current season scheme favors WI's most proficient hunters who have lots of time to hunt, they basically have no limit.  There are hunters I know who traveled around the state and  killed 8+ gobblers this spring.  This is legal but is this right?

Meanwhile there are other hardworking "wanna be turkey hunters" who have jobs that require they work weekends giving them only Mondays and Tuesdays off.  In the current scheme they are not provided an equitable opportunity to hunt.

This situation smells a bit elitist and may very well bode ill for the future of our beloved turkey hunting.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Previous

Return to Wisconsin