The Stoltz strategy for effectively roosting turkeys

Comments and suggestions about T&TH are welcome here.
mcvitullo

The Stoltz strategy for effectively roosting turkeys

Postby mcvitullo » March 4th, 2010, 2:22 am

I really liked the Stoltz article. It reminded me of myself. I will roost birds every morning and evening about 3 weeks prior to season. I think knowing where the bird's roost is extremly important to turkey hunting. I will even roost birds after season. I just love hearing them gobble. The last time I got them to shock gobble at night was June 3rd! I too own the Mark Prudhomme owl call and I like it useing it for roosting them. I take the front end off to make it louder. I also like the Primos hoot flute, that is a really realistic owl flute. My all time favorite owl call is the Hunter Specalties Palmers Hoot tube! That is a great owl call. One day I would like to try the Hooks Hootin stick. I'm good with my voice to sound like an owl and some times they will only gobble to my voice. I also use my voice to sound like a coyote. I rarely use a crow call to roost them and if I do, its only in the morning. I thought it was interesting that Stoltz called to that tough gobbler to force him to roost where he wanted him to. I never heard of anyone doing that. If I'm ever in that situation, I'm going to give it a try!!
   I love those Bad Bird articles. They are the first things I read when I get T&TH. I love T&TH, it is the only magazine I will read all of the articles. Keep up the good work!!! 

Fall turkey hunting is boring?! Have fun sitting in your deer stand....

Mossberg835

RE: The Stoltz strategy for effectively roosting turkeys

Postby Mossberg835 » March 8th, 2010, 5:52 am

I too loved the article on roosting birds, its the only thing that can compare to that fealing u get when a gobbler is coming in to u. I love to sit outside at night in april and listen to the gobblers hammer away up on all the hills around us. Its awesome. The primos Hoot Flute is very good. I have one and like it very much. I also love the bad Bird articles. First thing i read every time. If they ever stop doing those, I going to be dissapointed but will still love the magazine.
Hunt for thunder chickens for months at a time...you know that's right

swpatrkyhunter

Postby swpatrkyhunter » March 8th, 2010, 7:17 am

Ahhh! Putting birds to bed is one of the things I look forward to the most! The first time I get to roost birds always amazes me. Watching from a distance at the turkeys getting to their roost area feeding clucking and purring. Sometimes you can see a tom or two butt heads just to show who's boss. But aside from it being just an enjoyable thing to see it also is very educational for you as a hunter to know the mannerisums of the birds. How they react to each other, their vocalisations, how they react to them, favored travel routes, even who hangs out with what group. Can't wait till I get to roost my first birds this year!
If it gobbles,runs on gas, or is married to you it will give you trouble!

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » March 8th, 2010, 12:50 pm

I thought it was interesting that Stoltz called to that tough gobbler to force him to roost where he wanted him to. I never heard of anyone doing that. If I'm ever in that situation, I'm going to give it a try!!

No need to wait for a tough bird this tactic works like a charm on easy birds too. [:)]  Been doing this type of roosting for years myself.  In states that allow hunting up to sunset have you gun you may just get a shot prior to them taking a roost.

Oh yea and "force" might not be exactly the right word.  After all these are turkeys we're talking about. [:D]

Good hunting.
later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Return to Magazine Feedback