Barbour County WMA

cmblackmon1

Barbour County WMA

Postby cmblackmon1 » January 31st, 2010, 9:59 am

Planning a trip down south around Easter this year for family reunion. I plan on having two days of the trip to hunt and thought about trying out Barbour WMA and wondered if the hunting was good there or should I look else where. Whats the land like? What % is hardwoods,pines,cut over, food plots. Would appreciate some feed back, thanks. 
Buzzard Roost Custom Calls

Yelp softly

RE: Barbour County WMA

Postby Yelp softly » February 24th, 2010, 4:50 pm

Like most public land, it's managed for timber.  That means that it is largely cutover except for the streamsides and very steep terrain.  There are quite a few hardwood hollows that have good timber, they're just not real wide.

There are plenty of birds in that area.  My former hunting camp was about 30 minutes from there.  Hunt during the week if you can, there is very little pressure Mon-Fri.

cmblackmon1

Postby cmblackmon1 » February 27th, 2010, 2:49 pm

Thanks, I was wondering if I had miss spelled it or if it even existed. Thanks for the info. I you need any help with North Alabama let me know. I hunt Marion and Colbert counties mostly. 

SKFOOTER

Postby SKFOOTER » March 11th, 2010, 7:25 pm

ORIGINAL: cmblackmon1

Thanks, I was wondering if I had miss spelled it or if it even existed. Thanks for the info. I you need any help with North Alabama let me know. I hunt Marion and Colbert counties mostly. 

CM, I'm interested in hunting North Alabama, especially Northwest Alabama.  What can you share with me?

cmblackmon1

Postby cmblackmon1 » March 17th, 2010, 12:28 pm

Sorry its took me so long to respond, I've been down south hunting. We have two WMA in northwest Alabama that have respectable bird populations at both. Freedom hills in Colbert Co. and Waterloo in Lauderdale Co. I hunt mostly Colbert. The best turkey hunting for the last two years has been on the old part or the management area. There are plenty of green fields and hardwoods on many of the truck trails near and around the check in station. My best results have come from the new birding trails they have. They were made for bird watchers I guess but the turkeys like them to. Another area down to the south of us in Marion Co. is Sam R Murphy WMA and it is one of the best for birds, although in the last year they have cut a lot of timber, more than usual I think. You can still find birds in the bottoms in the timber left in the stream lanes. It also opens up with the rest of the southern region of the state on the 15th of March. It also gets a lot of pressure until our season starts April 1st. but after that in falls off dramatically so I would recommend it around the second week in April. Like a lot of places the pressure is calculated by what the birds are doing. If there not gobbling than most of these places die after 8 or 9 in the morning with hunting times through 1pm now you can find you may have the woods all to your self if you stick it out, except for me, ill be there from daylight till closing.
Well good luck and hope this helps some.

P.S. leave some for me...             

Return to Alabama