New Guides & Outfitters Forum

Planning a guided turkey hunt? Looking for tips in choosing the best outfitter? Discuss options here.
Ben Sobieck

New Guides & Outfitters Forum

Postby Ben Sobieck » February 22nd, 2010, 5:22 am

Every year, thousands of hunters travel hundreds of miles to hunt with guides and outfitters. If you've been on such a trip, how did it go? If you're considering one, what questions do you have? Let's share some turkey hunting know-how before hunters part with their paychecks.

Brian Lovett

RE: New Guides & Outfitters Forum

Postby Brian Lovett » February 22nd, 2010, 12:32 pm

Great thread, Ben. That's the biggest question facing the traveling turkey hunter: How can you know for sure that you've chosen a trustworthy outfitter?
I recommend obtaining references from folks who've hunted with an outfitter. Moreover, I want to talk with folks who hunted with that guide and did not take an animal. If they still recommend the outfitter, I feel much better.
Further, ask the outfitter about everything, including meals, lodging, schedule, realistic expectations, etc. Leave no stone unturned.
There are, of course, numerous other steps you should take. Let's hear some suggestions!

MsHunter

Postby MsHunter » February 23rd, 2010, 7:51 am

Just wondering,,, is it always wise to have a "Guided" hunt or is there ever an occasion when a great hunter should "go it alone" in a different state?  I have been rather successful on local hunts, on both public and private lands.  I am considering taking a hunting vacation to a different state.  I am trying to decide if I should pay the cost and use a guide, or take my chances on public lands.  Any thoughts or advice?

Tjohnson

Postby Tjohnson » February 23rd, 2010, 10:32 am

I have been wondering the same MsHunter. Last year I went to South Dakota and hunted public land with some success. Took a bit of time to determine public from private and then a couple days to find any birds that were not sitting in the front yards of the towns folk (frustrating as dozens of turkey were sitting in front yards every single day) Did get on a 2 year old that was ready to put on a show and have video to prove it. This year I am considering all my options to do a similar trip. started with Missouri ruled out because of poor poult production last couple years, Wanted Tennessee or Kentucky but it is hard to find information on public land in those states. The current front runner is Nebraska, have been researching and I am leaning that way.

I would love to find an outfitter with unguided turkey hunts somewhere in the south of the country.
Tbuck

beardhunter

Postby beardhunter » February 23rd, 2010, 1:28 pm

Looking for info for a goulds hunt in Mexico. Need to complete my royal slam.

Brian Lovett

Postby Brian Lovett » February 24th, 2010, 6:36 am

RE: Gould's: www.wingshooters-lodge.com or www.lovettwilliams.com. Both quality operations.
RE: public ground: You can absolutely have success on public ground, provided you have the time to research an area thoroughly. If your time is limited, it's often best to go with an outfitter, who can put you on birds immediately.

dewey

Postby dewey » February 24th, 2010, 7:22 am

I have hunted public land in another state with out setting a foot there and just doing reasearch via Google Earth and talking to the Game & Fish Dept along with other hunters and lots of research.  Granted this was an elk hunt in SW MT but the ideas are the same.  I was not successful in harvesting an elk but there is no way I would want to go with an outfitter when the trip would easily cost 3-5 times more than I spent.  "Moore" and I have talked about going to the Black Hills of So Dak and hunt Merriams and we are tentatively planning it as a camping and do-it-yourself trip.  Of course by going DIY you need to gather much more information, specfically talking to the local Game & Fish people and any other people that have been hunting in that area and that is where forums like T&TH come in so handy.  Being able to talk with people that have been there and done that.

To me it means more to harvest the animal on a do-it-yourself hunt than to go with an outiftter or guide.  Not to take anything away from guides and outfitters as I will use them on a Goulds, or Ocellated hunt in the future but right now I love the challenge of DIY.  It basically comes down to how much you want to pay and how much work do you want to do to be successful.

my 2 cents.

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

beardhunter

Postby beardhunter » February 24th, 2010, 12:49 pm

Thanks for the info Mr.Lovett. I checked out both sites, and really like the El Rancho Verde hunt. I would like to harvest the goulds to complete my royal. I will talk to my hunting partner and give him the website to see what his thoughts are.(He is also looking to complete his royal) If he tags out in Florida this spring.  Looking at the spring of 2011 to hunt the goulds. Thanks again. You will be hearing from us. 

Yelp softly

Postby Yelp softly » February 24th, 2010, 4:26 pm

I would recommend checking with the Chamber of Commerce with any potential areas you are considering hunting.  Two friends and I did a DIY trip to South Dakota to hunt the Black Hills National Forest.  The Chamber of Commerce sent us a listing of all the places that had available lodging for rent.  Most of them were hotels, but we called a few places that advertised cabins and asked them questions.  By doing this, we found a cattle ranch inside the NF and the rancher leased his guest houses.  We were able to rent a cabin and hunt right out the back door.  The rancher even gave us permission to cross his fences and hunt his private land because we were paying to stay at his place.

Anyone interested in going to South Dakota for a DIY hunt needs to google Slate Rock Ranch and rent one of their cabins.  Warning, they are in the upper elevations and we got snow both times I've been there.  Don't panic, you can drive down the mountain about 30 minutes and there will be much less snow.

I'll gladly share any tips I can for the Do-It-Yourselfer.  I don't plan on going to SD this year, so I'll share my spots with you.

rbewilson

Postby rbewilson » February 24th, 2010, 4:52 pm

Tjohnson,try looking on the Twra wed-page for public land to hunt in Tenn.

Next

Return to Guides & Outfitters