Opinion on Public Lands for Turkey around Raliegh NC?

Clay

Opinion on Public Lands for Turkey around Raliegh NC?

Postby Clay » February 5th, 2010, 8:53 am

I am a recent transplant to Wake Forest, NC with a serious turkey addiction.  As I am brand stinking new to the area and don't know a single hunter, I'm starting my research for possible places to chase birds come April.  

Using the info available on the NC Wildlife Resources pages, I've found a few public game lands within a decent drive and I'm hoping for some insight or opinions.  I'm not looking for the location of your special roost tree (unless you feel lead to provide it :-), just some initial insight about hunting locations before I start putting boots to ground.  

The Public Land locations I've found near here are Butner-Falls of Neuse Game Land (40,899 acres), Embro Game Land (8,892), Sandy Creek Game Land (928 acres), Shocco Creek Game Land (7,957), and Brinkleyville Game Land (1,819).  Does anyone have insight or comments on any of these areas or others within drive of Wake Forest?

Also, do you know of any special youth hunts around this area or how to get engaged there?  I've got a 10 year old boy that is bouncing off the walls to hunt on youth day after a close call with a gobbler last year.

Thanks!
Clay.stewart@fmr.com

Cut N Run

RE: Opinion on Public Lands for Turkey around Raliegh NC?

Postby Cut N Run » February 6th, 2010, 12:50 pm

Clay,

Welcome to the area & the forum.  I live about 45 minutes west of you and will send you an email with some ideas of places to hunt not too far from you.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Clay

Postby Clay » February 9th, 2010, 5:27 am

Thanks for some info Jim!  I'm off on Monday, so I plan to spend some time checking out the Falls of Neuse area in more detail.  Your info will help kickstart my search.

tracebusta32

Postby tracebusta32 » February 12th, 2010, 6:04 pm

I think you would be better off coming east of Winston-Salem, get on down in Davie County(lots of farm land) knock on a few doors and get you a private plot, your in the South...folk around here are pretty kind and some will still let you hunt their land if you ask.

Good Luck
Malachi 4:5-6
My Brother: WMB

REDDAWG

Postby REDDAWG » March 15th, 2010, 2:31 pm

State Game Lands be aware that New Hope Game Lands and Falls are by permit only. You have to put in for the drawing. Robert

Return to North Carolina