SPURS

What's in your collection? What's it worth?
MAKEemQUIVER

SPURS

Postby MAKEemQUIVER » May 4th, 2009, 3:17 pm

To keep my spurs i cut the section of the leg out that the spur is on and run a piece of rawhide through the leg. Just wandering if there is anything in particular that you all do to help preserve your sprus or to make them look good. Would appreciate any advice.

mark hay

RE: SPURS

Postby mark hay » May 5th, 2009, 12:21 pm

my brother in law is a woodworking feller . he had several 2" thick slices of black cherry , about 14-16 inches in diameter , with the bark on . he offered me one so i took it . he had already smoothed up one side so all i did was apply some varnish .
most of the turkeys i've taken have their remains attached to this hunk of wood . the beards are attached to 1 1/4 inch suede leather discs and then glued to the cherry . the spurs of each bird were removed from the leg bone and glued to the cherry just under the beard .
 as it is getting a little crowded , not from being so many , but i think to add any more would take away from its attractiveness.
last falls longbeard has his fan , beard and spurs mounted on a piece of leather and hangs in MRS. HAYs livingroom above a small shelf with assorted turkey calls and feathers and one spent shotshell . the shotshell contains my portion of a spent tag as well as the metal state tag, and  an 8 inch beard from a hen i took in "07.

MAKEemQUIVER

Postby MAKEemQUIVER » May 5th, 2009, 4:54 pm

Sounds neat, any chance you could post some pics of your treasures.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » May 7th, 2009, 3:19 pm

hey QUIVER , sorry i'm late . been busy .
i'll try to get one of the boys to come down with their digital camera and get some pics .

MAKEemQUIVER

Postby MAKEemQUIVER » May 7th, 2009, 5:08 pm

Mark really appreciate man, but hey no rush. I have to kill untill September before I can hunt again anyway.

dewey

RE: SPURS & LEG preservation

Postby dewey » February 10th, 2010, 10:21 am

Hey guys,

I am hoping that somebody can help me, I am trying to do a mount where I take the turkey legs from the knee down and mount them with the beard and the fan.  However I do not know the best way to preserve the legs so that way they do not rot or anything else.  I am trying to do something like the photo below.  I have the legs in the freezer right now.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Dewey

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » February 10th, 2010, 11:48 am

I've placed them on a cookie sheet on one of those wire racks, and put them in the oven at 200 degrees.  I forget how long of a time.  Just don't burn them!  You may have to buy the wife a new wire rack and cookie sheet!

dewey

Postby dewey » February 12th, 2010, 3:19 pm

ORIGINAL: Duke0002

I've placed them on a cookie sheet on one of those wire racks, and put them in the oven at 200 degrees.  I forget how long of a time.  Just don't burn them!  You may have to buy the wife a new wire rack and cookie sheet!

With my wife I may have to buy her a new house.[:D]

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

Return to Miscellaneous Turkey Collectibles