Any Texas Outfitter recommendations?

Planning a guided turkey hunt? Looking for tips in choosing the best outfitter? Discuss options here.
Yelp softly

Any Texas Outfitter recommendations?

Postby Yelp softly » February 24th, 2010, 4:15 pm

Great new forum!  There are not many places where you can find reliable information for the traveling turkey hunter.

Does anyone have any Outfitters they recommend for a Texas Rio hunt?  I probably need several recommendations.  The problem is that I have been talking to a "booking agent" about hunting one south Texas ranch.  I am just not real comfortable with the deal.  The ranch owner has not returned my call and the agent wants 50% deposit before any "official" forms are sent to be signed.  I expressed some concern that I would like to review ALL paperwork prior to sending ANY money.  The agent responded that "we don't even create the paperwork until we receive the deposit, but I can send you samples", which he does.  I just don't feel real comfortable with this arrangement.

The problem is that I have already taken off the week of March 20th to go on a hunt.  That is opening weekend in South Texas and most reputable places will likely be booked.  It's only 3 weeks away.

Gobblerman

RE: Any Texas Outfitter recommendations?

Postby Gobblerman » March 5th, 2010, 4:48 am

You are wise to be skeptical of this scenario.  Sounds like a potential scam to me.  I would not send any money to anybody that has that attitude and policy.  A good outfitter and/or booking agent should be bending over backwards to alleviate any concerns that potential customers might have.  If they are not willing to do something as simple as sending you basic paperwork or responding to a phone call, what can you expect from them if and when you arrive for this supposed hunt?  My advice...Steer clear of this operation!!

Jim

beardhunter

Postby beardhunter » March 6th, 2010, 2:59 pm

Hey yelp softly, does it have to be texas? I harvested 2 nice rios with a good outfitter in Oklahoma. a self guided hunt. It was near the Red River. If you need info on this let me know. Had the whole place yo myself.

mmichelli

Postby mmichelli » March 10th, 2010, 2:53 pm

I hunt rios in the san angelo area for years. (lots of turkeys) Not sure about south texas but they can't have more. Give this guy a call, Frank Carter 325-656-4198 fcx3@wcc.net. I hunted with him several years and i'm sure he could accomadate you.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » March 12th, 2010, 6:25 pm

You may want to reconsider someplace eles. BUT if your interested I've got a REAL NICE truck I'll sell you for only $12,000.00 it was only driven by a little old lady to church on Sundays and to Bingo on Thur. nights, very low mileage. Send the cash and I'll send you a picture of the truck [:D]. I'd agree with Gobbleman most outfitters go out of their way to take care of any conserns that a hunter has about the deal.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » March 15th, 2010, 5:47 am

It's good that you asked about this here and Mr Jim is right.

The San Angelo area is good and I've hunted there for years. Using someone that some else knows usually provides for less risk.

Getting in Opening week in San Angelo might be difficult unless someone just happens to have an open slot or someone is trying to cancel.

I put a group together and have booked a ranch there opening day for the past 6 years and theres benefits to getting to know your rancher / outfitter and a property.

NO ONE should be asking for money until details have been agreed upon which I know you've already realized

Also I don't believe south Texas is that good right now but I'm hearing very good things about the panhandle, Oklahoma and especially Kansas.
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

DBraman

Postby DBraman » April 13th, 2010, 5:05 pm

Mellon Creek Outfitters are for real. I would give them a call.
361 484 2398 ask for Jimmy

Return to Guides & Outfitters