current river gobblers

kcfishnerd

current river gobblers

Postby kcfishnerd » February 10th, 2010, 2:24 pm

I am heading to the current to do some fishing and chase longbeards this spring.  I am looking at Cedar Grove and Sunklands CAs to hunt.  Does anyone know about these areas?  Sunklands looks huge so a direction to start looking would help.  Thanks.

Ozarks Hillbilly

RE: current river gobblers

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » February 11th, 2010, 4:00 am

Big timber and some big hills and hollers over in that area. I never have hunted there but float and fish over there some. Lots of ground over there to hunt shouldn't be hard to get away from any crowds if you don't mind the foot work. You mite look into hunting the Peck Ranch CA as well.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

kcfishnerd

Postby kcfishnerd » February 11th, 2010, 8:40 am

Thanks Hillbilly.  I looked at Peck & it seems like it would be good.  Does it get a lot of pressure?  With the shooting range there I would guess that the birds would be pushed away from the roads and trails which is alright w/ me. 

Ozarks Hillbilly

Postby Ozarks Hillbilly » February 12th, 2010, 3:53 am

I don't think Peck Ranch gets as much Turkey hunting pressure as some of the others. They are all a lot more pressured than they used to be when I was a young man. With Missouri raising the cost of non resident permits and the economy the way it is this year the pressure of out of state hunters may be less than in the last several years. I have some buddies that hunt Peck some and have taken some nice birds in years past. I don't think it gets the pressure as much as down around the Thomasville area dose. Fair warning Peck dose contain a fair population of rattle snakes! The shooting range they have is a pretty nice one FYI.
These Ozark Mountains Ain't High But The Hollers Sure Are Deep

mark hay

Postby mark hay » February 14th, 2010, 12:09 pm

In my nosin' around the forum I stumbled onto your thread . If I may be so bold , I hunt public land most of the time here in southern Ohio . There are lots of public roads in and around the area . And we have a public shooting range , which in good weather gets some sizable crowds from Cincinnati . They can raise one heck of a bunch of noise . It hasn't spooked the game at all . Would think they would shy away from the place . I have jumped bedded deer , inside the range compound . Sat there and listened to gobblers in different directions on several occasions . But I rarely get close to the range when hunting, though the shots can be heard from all parts of the hunting area . Being close can be annoying when you need quiet to hear a bird .

kcfishnerd

Postby kcfishnerd » February 22nd, 2010, 11:44 am

Thanks guys I will check it out.

Return to Missouri