Question for you guys

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
gutpiler

Question for you guys

Postby gutpiler » April 20th, 2010, 12:21 pm

What do you guys think. Can a guy move when a toms gobbleing? How about when they shake their feathers? I'd rather not find out the hard way.

grizzly

RE: Question for you guys

Postby grizzly » April 20th, 2010, 1:34 pm

if you can see his head he can see you. if you move wait for him to walk behind something[:)] wayne

mark hay

Postby mark hay » April 20th, 2010, 1:47 pm

If you are talking about moving as the bird comes in or has hung up , it can be done ,,though it too can be risky . You may forget , in the moment of excitement , that if you increase your height at all he just might see you . And , while you are moving he WILL hear your movement and may run toward the hen that he thinks is leaving,,,,and spot you .
 But , if the lay of the land allows you to move without being seen , it sometimes works out for the mover . Time among turkeys will teach you and I when to move .

wseested

Postby wseested » April 20th, 2010, 4:09 pm

ORIGINAL: grizzly

if you can see his head he can see you. if you move wait for him to walk behind something[:)] wayne

I completely agree. If you can see him, he can much more easily see you. If you are going to pick a time to move quickly (raising the gun fast), wait until he turns around so that his vision of you is obstructed by his tail fan. Otherwise, always move extremely slow.

Longbeards

Postby Longbeards » April 20th, 2010, 5:45 pm

I'm no expert by no means but, these birds have such amazing eyesight it would very difficult to move with the gobbler insight. Not impossible but, very difficult. I have had birds I have seen in a field that were 700 to 800 yards away that pick up my movement and run away. Then there are the ones that walk up behind you that pick up the slightest movement such as your eyes blinking that putt and either fly or run before you know what has happened. Sitting still is one of the top priorities of turkey hunting, second to having a gun i guess. I have taken 5 birds this season here in bama and I do my best to make sure I'm not seen. Although I have wished many times, after watching one hang up 70 or 80 yards away, that I could move a little closer. I killed my 5th bird yesterday morning after watching him 100 yards away gobbling and strutting for 45 min. Once he commited, he walked in on my right and I could"nt move my gun around a tree to shoot. I had to wait for him to walk behind a pine tree to move my gun. I pulled the trigger on him at 15 steps. He was able to get out half of a gobble before I sent him to say "hi" to Elvis for me.

rob

Rennat

Postby Rennat » April 21st, 2010, 4:32 am

2 years ago i was set up in a blind andwas faceing the left side of a field and was using a electronic caller that was 30 yards to my right. as it was a huge field and i was calling the birds in the woods on the left... well to make a long story short the bird came from the right across that huge field he was about 200 yards out and comming fast and i got to thinking he will get to my caller before he reaches me so i got out of the blind that was in the treeline and ran down the treeline 20 yards past my caller and waited as he was still comming strong. He then cut in the field and stopped aboout 30 yards from the caller and was ready to leave when he saw my decoy and i let him have it. IF I DIDNT MOVE HE WOULD HAVE BEEN 60 YARDS FROM MY BLIND but iunstead I got that bird so in some instances I say if you think you can do it then go for it. its a gamble like anything else but dont be so scared that you wont buge when you need to. just my opinion
Dan

Bryan78

Postby Bryan78 » April 21st, 2010, 4:37 am

This past Saturday I watched about half a dozen birds around forty yards (probably less actually) and they knew I was there but it didn't seem to bother the two toms who were strutting.  I do think I made a hen nervous though.

Return to Strategies