extended season

turkeytracks

extended season

Postby turkeytracks » December 21st, 2009, 5:32 pm

i was just wondering if any of you guys was huntin the extended season and if you were what did you get, i got a hen last week.  how do you like hunting in the snow and cold?

Alex

charlie elk

RE: extended season

Postby charlie elk » December 30th, 2009, 6:18 pm

Filled my last fall tag or should we say winter tag.  This was my first chance to hunt snowbirds.  What a challenge.......
No place to hide except in the snow.  The turkeys had all the visual advantages.  Flocks very hard to break up and when they did it seemed family units flew the same way.  Decoys spooked em.
What a blast! Had to call in whole flocks, many times 30+ birds would come in at one time.  A calling session would last about 2 to 3 hours before the birds responded.  Oh yea and because of the snow had to use snowshoes in order to access hunting areas.

How about you?

later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » January 2nd, 2010, 7:29 am

Well I had tag soup. The snow made it a lot of fun to hunt in. I had no problem hiding in the snow. Ware snow camo and made a roll up blind out of an old bed sheet and some dowels, and carried a fold up shovel to dig my way down to bare ground, pile the snow up around ya and put the wrap around blind up worked well. I was holding out for a good tom, but all that came near was the hens and young ones.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » January 3rd, 2010, 9:52 am

im proud of you die hard hunters....im go N wed to KY to hunt ft campbell winter season the dogs are so ready as well as me...Ron
Break em at Night...Back at light

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » January 4th, 2010, 7:21 am

Scott,
Good blind idea.
I used snowshoes to get out and across the frozen woods and fields worked much better than post holing although still quite noisy. The snowshoes came in handy to dig the snow and pile it up for a hidey hole and as a "table" to keep the calls at ready. Using your sheet idea- could have stuck the snowshoes on edge and draped it over.
Also put white waterproof first aid tape on my gun to break up its outline.
Given the snow cover winter turkeys proved to be very, very challenging. Not to mention rewarding. You waited for a gobbler WOW. [:-]

later,
charlie
If you agree with me call it fact; if you disagree - call it my opinion.
After all - we are talking turkey.

Return to Wisconsin