No Luck or Bad Luck

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
eggshell

RE: No Luck or Bad Luck

Postby eggshell » December 20th, 2009, 4:14 am

The guy coming to set deer bait reminded me of an incident. I always take one of the land owners I hunt on for a fall hunt. One year he suggested we go to the opposite side of the property because he'd saw turkeys there. So away we went. On arrival I start seeing turkey droppings and sign they are camping out there. I make a comment about I wonder why the birds are hanging around an area with no food or little shelter. He chimes right in and says, Oh they're going to the neighbor's deer bait right over there, He hates them !" I about crapped  my pants! I told him we can't shoot turkeys over a baited area, he didn't know and I quickly exited that area.  We went to another parcel 1/2 mile away and found him a bird. It never hurts to be sure you know what going on in an area, especially in the fall. I called a wildlife officer I trust and asked him how I should judge hunting an area baited for deer. He said it is important to ask question, because yes if you shoot a turkey going to deer bait, In Ohio, you can be ticketed. He said his general rule is if a person is more than 1/4 mile from the bait, outside a travel lane to the bait or separated by a major natural barrier then he would most likely not ticket them, as long as they showed no sign of bait activity on them or their vehicle.

turkeydoghunter

RE: No Luck or Bad Luck

Postby turkeydoghunter » December 20th, 2009, 7:31 am

ORIGINAL: WillowRidgeCalls

When they flew off they all went together, and it's a piece of property I can't hunt [:@]
he really put the kabash to your hunt[:'(]
Break em at Night...Back at light

Previous

Return to Fall Hunting