Dec. to remember

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
fallhnt

Dec. to remember

Postby fallhnt » December 14th, 2009, 5:51 pm

Went to NE. last weekend.Shot 4 with my bow on video.1jake 2hens 1poult.Snow was comming and wanted to get home,so the first 4 in got arrowed.

mark hay

RE: Dec. to remember

Postby mark hay » December 15th, 2009, 1:02 pm

Welcome fallhnt,
 Congrats on your success in NE. How about a story ?

MzlHunter

Postby MzlHunter » December 15th, 2009, 1:31 pm

Pics? Hunt recap?

fallhnt

Postby fallhnt » December 15th, 2009, 7:17 pm

Set up Sat. at 2p.m. same area as last spring (march). Birds were south.Moved in under roost in a.m.Didn't call due to low light conditions when birds flew down but they came into my stuffer decoy anyway.Shot the first one and then it was on!I did see longbeards but due to weather wanted to get done and get going. Was in Ill. by 8p.m.Will watch weather in Jan. and may try KS.I saw lots of longbeards this spring.Am having trouble with pic message said file to large?

FireFly908

Postby FireFly908 » December 16th, 2009, 3:02 am

What part of the state are you hunting in and is it private or public land?  You stated that you hunted the same area as last spring and saw lots of longbeards then.  Did you scout the area prior to spring hunting?  If not, did you just luck out or did someone recommend the area to you?
I hunted for the first time this past year so I'm still on a big learning curve.  Thanks for your time.

fallhnt

Postby fallhnt » December 16th, 2009, 3:39 pm

FireFly908 I was on private land.I did luck out when my wife said I could go.But turkeys are turkeys and this time of year they flock up.In the late fall this can be a problem out west becouse they like the easy food they can get on cattle ranches.So permission can be an issue.This is also what I am hunting in March.I was in the south cental area on the KS. state line.What part of NE. are you in?I do know that most walk in areas in KS. are good if they have roosting areas.It is also better in the spring when the birds break- up.The birds will move more and you could get a shot.Are you bowhunting?If so a ground blind will help make a hunt more enjoyable when first starting out.

dewey

Postby dewey » December 17th, 2009, 11:51 am

Hey fallhnt,

Here is a link to a great software program that I use all the time to resize photos to fit the T&TH limits.

http://forum.turkeyandturkeyhunting.com/tm.aspx?m=12411

Also welcome to the forum.[:D]

Dewey
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." --Mahatma Gandhi

"Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat."--F. Scott Fitzgerald, American writer

       

fallhnt

Postby fallhnt » December 17th, 2009, 3:23 pm

If I did this correctly here is a pic. from NE. hunt.Thanks dewey

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » December 19th, 2009, 1:56 pm

sounds like a good dog or two could have scattered that flock when i hunted KS we had 4 dogs on about 200 birds....we manged to scatter them in a oak flat creek bottom well we  had allot of fun with them rios....congrats on a fine hunt ...ron
ORIGINAL: fallhnt

FireFly908 I was on private land.I did luck out when my wife said I could go.But turkeys are turkeys and this time of year they flock up.In the late fall this can be a problem out west becouse they like the easy food they can get on cattle ranches.So permission can be an issue.This is also what I am hunting in March.I was in the south cental area on the KS. state line.What part of NE. are you in?I do know that most walk in areas in KS. are good if they have roosting areas.It is also better in the spring when the birds break- up.The birds will move more and you could get a shot.Are you bowhunting?If so a ground blind will help make a hunt more enjoyable when first starting out.
Break em at Night...Back at light

fallhnt

Postby fallhnt » December 19th, 2009, 4:15 pm

turkeydoghunter I think a dog hunt would be fun.Doesn't KY. offer that too?

Next

Return to Fall Hunting