question for you arrows only

turkeytracks

question for you arrows only

Postby turkeytracks » December 16th, 2009, 1:40 pm

i was thinkin' about trying to go bow hunting for turkeys do you have anything i should know thats different than with a gun?
Alex

arrowsonly

RE: question for you arrows only

Postby arrowsonly » December 17th, 2009, 5:04 am

I do not know were to start; don't get down when you come home w/o a bird, it's the experience that is the trophy!
That is why I started to video tape my hunts. They are not anything like you can buy, but a memory that is preserved forever and cheaper than a full mount that my wife will not allow in our house!

PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE, I have shot at different levels for over 40 years. After two rotator-cuff surgerys in 3 years, I now shoot just 10/12 arrows every other day down my basement @ 15 yards. That is my "comfort" range for a clean kill, I will shoot out to 20 if I had to but my first kill was @ 2 yards. Watch a few videos from Double Bull, Another Year on The Ground, they will show you several good tips. The only thing I don't like is they make it look to EASY !
I had more encounters w/birds B/4 I found out about there blinds, but got busted most times lot's of missed "head shots"

I sound like a commercial for Double Bull but I can not tell you enough about the quality of the product, and they are also great for deer hunting I have even used mine to ice fish...
You need to hunt all day, I see more birds from 10am-2pm plus I never get early tags so I am hunting during the later stages of the "rut" ?
You will need to hunt more farmland & less woods unles you have pockets of clearing were you can see for 40/50 yards.
I look for strut zones, dusting sites, maybe feed, ie. cut corn fields, find the hens & get em' to talk, they are the best turkey call out there!
I use motion decoys with a string attached, most states have outlawed electronics. I also use a breeding pair and or a "jake" in strut. Yes I scare alot of 2yr olds away but the 3/4 yr olds that are left that time of the season are "pissed off" when they see some one else gettin' some in there neighborhood!

You will not forget the sights and sounds of bow hunting turkeys it's similar to bow hunting almost anything else.
I can still remeber my first kill like it was last week, 3 toms in my set up for 45 minuets! Drummin' next to my homemade blind @ 3/4 yards, but when the wings touched the side of my blind that was it. I shot right thru the side & pinned him to the ground. The blackest black & gleam you will ever see is in a turkeys eye @ that range, therefore look em' in the eye before you give em' the shaft !

Stay in touch we can PM or e-mail also if you like or this board is great because we can get input from others ...
look em' in the eye before you give em' the shaft...
be a man hunt public land...

turkeytracks

Postby turkeytracks » December 17th, 2009, 4:32 pm

wow! thanks for the info.  i was going to get a new bow this summer but not really sure what to get do you have any suggestions i cant spend to much i dont have that much to spend. also i was looking at these arrow heads, they have 3 or 4 in. blades on them what do i do shoot the head off the turkey, cause i was just going to use regular broad heads and shoot it in the body what should i do?[8|]

P.S.- were do you go hunting?
Alex

arrowsonly

Postby arrowsonly » December 18th, 2009, 3:29 pm

How long have you had your current bow ? If it's in good shape & you shoot it well hang on to it. Check with your local pro shop, don't go to Wal-Mart I am sure there are some good shops up there. Make sure the bow fits you properly, check for your master eye also. Just becuse you are right handed that don't mean your right eye is your master eye.
Forget about all those fancy broadheads! Shoot what what flies best from your bow & keep the poundage at a comfortable level. I only shoot 53#'s and try to shoot a little heavier shaft so I don't get "pass thru" they can't run or fly very far with an arrow sticking out each side!

If you can't find a shop up there let me know, I have a shop down here that will take good care of you and he always has a great selection on used bows.

Shawano County, Waushara & Waupaca County, a small town on the Wisconsin River called Gotham, but my favorite spot is in Harmony, Minnesota. 300 acres of public land, archery only NO GUNS and I have the place to myself every year. Not alot of birds but no other hunters!

turkeytracks

Postby turkeytracks » December 19th, 2009, 5:00 am

well the bow is my dads and the #'s are kind of heavy so i dont use it that much, but thanks for the help i will think of some more questions for u later [:D]
Alex

turkeytracks

Postby turkeytracks » April 3rd, 2010, 12:06 pm

help! im torn, i found this nice turkey gun but idk if i should get that or get that bow ive been wanting, what should i do?
Alex

arrowsonly

Postby arrowsonly » April 5th, 2010, 2:53 am

That is a tough call, but here is my 2 cents worth. Archery is a lifetime sport that will stick with you till you can't pull back a bow. Your most memorable hunts will be with your bow because of the time you spend in the quiet woods listening, remembering the smells & sounds. What do you need ? is the question...

turkeytracks

Postby turkeytracks » April 12th, 2010, 11:51 am

well when u put it that way i guess im gonna keep lookin for a good bow, and thanks for the help
Alex

arrowsonly

Postby arrowsonly » April 19th, 2010, 3:34 am

Good choice! I was not expecting for you to buy a good/expensive bow; the 2 don't always go together, rather want less!
We are spoiled rotten with "stuff" spending money we do not have and using up raw materials faster than it can reproduce itself. You are young, take some advice from a old man " save your money" now while you can...

Return to Wisconsin