off the shelf vs. custom

Support for hopelessly addicted turkey call collectors
nhtrkybstr

off the shelf vs. custom

Postby nhtrkybstr » December 12th, 2009, 6:34 am

This question is for all you custom call makers out there.
I recently had a custom slate call made for me because I quite frankly could'nt get a good sound out of any of the off the shelf slates out there.
Now, I have an off the shelf Primos box cutter box call. It does a decent job of calling in birds, and I was wondering if it was worthwhile to upgrade to a custom box call. I have to admit that price is what is really holding me back. I have priced them, and they seem alot more expensive than custom pot calls.
Is it worth it to get the custom box, or should I stick with what I'm using? Is there much of a difference from custom vs. off the shelf box calls?

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

WillowRidgeCalls

RE: off the shelf vs. custom

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » December 12th, 2009, 6:12 pm

Well Mike in a unique way you kind of answered your own question. A custom box will give you the same resalts as a custom pot call does compared to a production call. The best thing about a custom call is that you have a lot more choices, than you do with a production call as to how it's built, what it's built out of and how it looks. There is a couple of things that make a custom call a little higher priced, and that is looks and what it's made out of for the most part, and it depends a little bit on who the builder is. The best advice I can give you is, if your looking for a custom call do some recearch on builders and if possible get your hands on one and play it or at least get ahold of the builder and listen to them run it over the phone. I don't know of any good call builder that doesn't stand behind their calls for customer satisfaction, if they don't they won't sell many.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

rsmithpa

RE: off the shelf vs. custom

Postby rsmithpa » December 13th, 2009, 5:28 am

WillowRidge is right on the mark about custom calls versus production.  I have only a few but they are worth the money in my book.  Doesn't mean you can't take a turkey with a production call, I have taken my share with them, but a custom call well tuned is worth the price.  You need to shop around and ask people what they think of certain callmakers calls and go from there.   Good Luck and Good Hunting! 

Return to Call Collecting