Triple Play

Whether you're a 10-year-old kid or a 40-year-old kid-at-heart, bagging that first bird is a thrill. This is the place to share photos and stories of your first harvest.
April C

Triple Play

Postby April C » November 1st, 2009, 4:10 pm

Spring season of 2009 was my first time turkey hunting. My husband is a successful turkey hunter and he likes nothing better than calling in a bird for someone. He got a nice gobbler pretty quick into the season so he dedicated many hours with me on trying to get my first bird. We live in North Carolina and the turkey population where we hunt is not as plentiful as we would like. But, we do what we can with what we got. We had been hunting pretty hard for 2 and 1/2 weeks and we were having no luck at getting a shot. It seemed like the spot we would pick to hunt that the turkeys would come out and feed at one of our other spots. It seemed we could never pick the right spot. As my season was drawing to a close still without a bird I had some good luck come my way. Two or three days before the close of the season a farmer next to us decided to fertilize his cow pasture. When I heard the trucks spreading the manure on the field that day I was thrilled. I knew that this was going to be a turning point in my hunt. The turkeys that I had been chasing all season were known to come out in the field and scratch around in the manure in the evenings before going to roost. We planned my hunt for the next to last day of the season. My husband was going to call for me and a friend of ours wanted to go along and watch and besides if more than one came in he was going to be able to take a shot on the second turkey since he hadn't fillen a tag as of yet. It was a somewhat cloudy day as we made our way out to the pasture. We got settled in our spots and we were feeling quite relaxed. All of a sudden we saw some turkeys making there way into the field more about 500 yards away. I was thinking can you believe that they are on that side of the field and we set up on this side. We watched those turkeys as they crossed the fence and made their way slowly down the hill. There were 5 jakes in this group. They were just walking back and forth on the hillsidde still 450 yards away. We sat there and watched as my husband sweet talked those jakes with his calls. They seemed to be heading our way, but there was still a great distance for them to come. They finally crossed a small stream and we just needed them to head up the hill toward us. But, there they were down in that valley and we could not see if they were headed our way. Just when we thought that things were looking good. Here come two hens. Now I am thinking you got to be kidding me. These hens are going to lure the only males I have a chance at away. However, luck was still on my side the hens came out and left before the jakes could follow them. My husband kept calling but the hill was still blocking our view so we still didn't know where those jakes were at. So we sat there and planned our attack. It had already been decided that I got the first shot on any male. But, since this group had more than one if it worked out we were going to go for a double or a triple. See in North Carolina you can kill two male birds in the Spring. My husband had only used one tag in this season. We each had shotguns because you just never know. So we decided to shoot as we were sitting if given the opportunity. It was a good thing that we were thinking ahead because all of a sudden we saw one head pop up over the hill heading our way. So here was my chance to get my turkey. So as I was looking down my gun at my sights, my ears are attuned to my husband. He said wait the others are coming in. Now I am waiting for the turkeys to come on up the hill. We all had our guns ready. We each knew which turkey to shoot out from our previous planning. My husband counted to three which was our signal to all shoot at the same time. When he said three, three shots rang out. I was so excited I was across the fence before they even got up off the ground. It was unbelievable! It was even more special because I was able to share it with two important people.

RoyR

RE: Triple Play

Postby RoyR » November 2nd, 2009, 11:03 am

Who's that handsome man on the end...lol

It was a very exciting hunt. Your husband is a master turkey caller in my book. I was able to bag a gobbler last year through his talents and then this, a triple, very exciting, I wish I had only remembered to turn the camera on.

linda hay

Postby linda hay » November 2nd, 2009, 12:35 pm

Great looking birds i would say you did everything right. congradulations to all of you.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » November 10th, 2009, 2:47 am

Memorable way to get your first, Congratulations.  What County do you hunt in?  Good luck in the future.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » November 12th, 2009, 4:45 pm

Congrats on your first bird. [:)]
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

Return to First Time Turkeys