Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
Dcoleinpa

RE: KEE KEE & THE WINGBONE

Postby Dcoleinpa » September 7th, 2009, 7:50 am

i grip mine with my right hand but thats how i hold it

mark hay

Postby mark hay » September 7th, 2009, 7:58 am

Hey Ron ,,,,Them dogs look like they absolutely love what they're doing. They have that look of intent concentration in their eyes.

'ppreciate the up close pic of the proper hold on the trumpet.

Relax ? I'm tryin'

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » September 7th, 2009, 8:56 am

lol thats funny you noticed that. because parker said after i told him i use my left because it felt more natural to me...he told me boy you a master ...dont change what your doing[:D]
Break em at Night...Back at light

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » September 7th, 2009, 9:03 am

they are good looking dogs mark

linda hay

Postby linda hay » September 7th, 2009, 11:47 am

Hey turkeydog I know we are suposed to look at that call but couldn't help noticing your great looking dogs. What kind are they?? They look like labs but not sure.They couldn't get any closer to ya they must be your babies.[:D]

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » September 8th, 2009, 12:49 pm

they are boytel spaniels cross between a boykin spaniel and a german watchel they are awesome hunting buddys ...and they know daddy loves them too[:D]

linda hay

Postby linda hay » September 9th, 2009, 2:50 pm

Evening Ron , yeah ! you can tell they love there daddy.I think it's great to have dogs that would do anything for ya. Ours don't hunt but i'm sure if Mark would have worked with them they would learn pretty fast. I swear i think they can understand english they know exactly what we are saying alot of times and we are not even looking at them.Anyway i really think your dogs are great looking.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » September 10th, 2009, 2:28 pm

As I played with that flock the other day , it just settled my mind that the wingbone can produce a dead on the money kee kee. I was wishing I had it at the time . I was carrying a pocket full of mouthcalls , but elected to give it my first try at just whistling . After all , I just play with the turkeys at times , just for the learning experience.
Those birds will not be hunted by me , and I doubt they stay very long on this 100 acres ,,,,,there's too much to be had in the way of food and cover back down the ridge .
Da'gummit it was fun playin' though.[:D]

mark hay

Postby mark hay » September 12th, 2009, 4:11 pm

Little by little I make some progress with the ''Tennessee Hen'' . It is slowly soaking in to my walnut sized brain that it requires NO work to make it talk turkey. Turkeydoghunter has repeated it several times to RELAX. I have found that if I'm in an odd sitting position or resting my arms on a chair arm that I experience great difficulty in producing good sound. When I realize this I will just sit up straight and relax my shoulders . It is amazing how little things can effect MY calling ability.
 Also ,I have found that it does not require a tight pinch on the mouthpiece with my lip, but rather a more precise pressure of the lipstop being pushed toward my lips. This is by no means a great amount of force , but a consistent one.
 Linda worked most of today which gave me liberty to get in a lot of practice and experimenting . I found the gobble today ! It ain't very loud , but it is a gobble. Also most of my ''at home'' practice is done inside the house . But, many times as I walk out to check the mailbox I'll take the Hen with me and give her a running . The sounds it makes outside the house is flat out TURKEY. The faintest of keekee's and clucks will be heard echoing through the trees and nearby buildings .

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » October 27th, 2009, 3:10 am

ive been using my brass bitch spur hill trumpet....and we been kicken butt with it!!![:)]

Previous

Return to Fall Hunting