Turkey Tip #19: The Right Range

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
Ben Sobieck

Turkey Tip #19: The Right Range

Postby Ben Sobieck » April 26th, 2010, 6:03 am

Surprise! Most people want to see a gobbler approach from a long distance, but that's a mistake. Instead, look for setups where a turkey is in range the instant he instinctively knows he should be able to see the calling hen.

Make him top a hill, round a bend in a road or work around a vision-obscuring obstacle. When he does, he'll immediately look for the hen, and if you're 30 yards away, the hunt is finished.

Everyday Hunter

RE: Turkey Tip #19: The Right Range

Postby Everyday Hunter » April 26th, 2010, 6:31 am

A great point. Lots of hunters like to see the bird coming from a long way off, but many times that is a mistake.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

joeturkey

Postby joeturkey » April 26th, 2010, 7:16 am

Hey Ben, this advice is right on the money! See my post under 2010 for Wisconsin for my 1st season of the year story!! Good luck and good hunting! Joe
"You need to drink a few large glasses of beer tonight. That is the only solution. "

Ben Franklin

AZ Gunner

Postby AZ Gunner » May 7th, 2010, 2:35 pm

My dad and I hunt Merriams in the mountains and we rarely see them before they get right on us. One of my favorite things is when you're not sure if they've committed or not and all the sudden a gobble thunders out at 50 yards. That really gets the adrenaline pumping cause you know at any moment he'll appear.

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » May 7th, 2010, 4:11 pm

Thats a great tip Ben. 

Because I'm slow it took me a long time to figure this out. I used to set up in the open and wondered why birds would hang up? I never paid attention to what kind of cover I was in or what was behind me.

So much emphasis is put on calling and other aspects that sometimes having the right set up is overlooked especailly by those who are just starting.

To me it is one of the true keys to giving your self a chance for success.
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

natman

Postby natman » May 8th, 2010, 8:23 am

Excellent tip. If you can see him coming, he knows the hen should be able to see him and he expects her to come running.

Make him look for you until he's close enough to shoot.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » May 8th, 2010, 9:09 am

That is some  SOUND WISDOM there fellers .

Return to Strategies