KEE KEE & THE WINGBONE

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
mark hay

KEE KEE & THE WINGBONE

Postby mark hay » August 25th, 2009, 11:57 am

Anyone using the wingbone for kee kee's ?

Dcoleinpa

RE: KEE KEE & THE WINGBONE

Postby Dcoleinpa » August 25th, 2009, 12:07 pm

i havent been messing with the bone much latley. i can find a kee kee on the trumpet but i always lose it...... practice practice practice but it is so fun trying to learn

mark hay

Postby mark hay » August 25th, 2009, 12:30 pm

Hey Dylan. I made a trumpet ,,,,,I should say I guessed a trumpet . Didn't know exactly how to shape the innards . It would probably call turkeys in a pinch ,,,,,but it ain't even close to my wingbone .
It is a waist of my energy to even attempt to try running the wingbone when I'm tired or stressed . But when I'm fresh I can usually hit the kee kee on the first try . I'm anxious to work some young birds for some fellers this fall with the ''Tennessee Hen''.
Those little , faint , soft kee kees work well on a broodflock that may be passing by ,,,,unspooked .

Dcoleinpa

Postby Dcoleinpa » August 25th, 2009, 12:55 pm

hey mark i just went outside for ten minutes and played some trumpet. i remeber reading Ron saying not to try sucking so hard on the call. when i think about that things go alot better. i basically tell myself to focus on not trying so hard and letting the call do more work than my lungs. i really enjoy messing with suction calls and can not wait til the fall buddy.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » August 25th, 2009, 1:52 pm

I was doing the same thing . It has been stated many times ''It's like drinking through a straw''. And as I have mention somewhere on this subject , I was trying to pull air through the bone like I was drinking a thick milkshake . Too much effort for sure . By much concentration I have weaned myself of this problem, with the assistance of the tiny mouthpiece I fashion from deer antler , which for me seems to be a big help on control.
 I still catch myself on occasion , really puckering up to begin my first call. And if I don't catch it and relax , and start off gently I always mess it up .

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » August 25th, 2009, 3:33 pm

its like drinking water though a straw LOL...just kidding...hers a tip use your diaphrame..instead of your lungs with just one pull of air , instead of three seperate pulls..use your tounge to seprerate the 3 notes...a tight seal is a must........the tighter the lips the higher the pitch...looser  the lips the lower the pitch and raspy sound....[;)]
Break em at Night...Back at light

MzlHunter

Postby MzlHunter » August 25th, 2009, 3:58 pm

I haven't quite got it on the wingbone yet but it's a lot of fun trying. I've been spending at least one hour a night messing around with different calls getting ready for October 1st.It can't come fast enough.

Dcoleinpa

Postby Dcoleinpa » September 2nd, 2009, 10:54 am

you boys been practicing!!!???

MzlHunter

Postby MzlHunter » September 2nd, 2009, 1:04 pm

Just a little.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » September 2nd, 2009, 1:08 pm

Not much, Dylan,,,,,just everyday.