World's Ugliest Decoy

How was your last hunt? Let's see!
12Bhunting

World's Ugliest Decoy

Postby 12Bhunting » April 24th, 2008, 11:38 am

Last summer, Justin, my 7 year old, fabricated a gobbler out of an old hen decoy, sharpie marker, turkey fan and beard  and shot his own hunting video in our backyard.  
Jump ahead to the first week of Wisconsin's turkey season. Spent Weds. evening watching the local boss Tom chase off another gobbler and two jakes while ignoring our jake and hen decoys.   
Reading "Deadly Dekes" on the T&TH website convinced me to at least carry Justin's gobbler decoy with us the rest of the week but couldn't quite convince myself to put it out.  Saturday evening we set up at 5:00 P.M. and by 5:15 had two gobblers, a couple jakes and several hens feeding in the corn stubble in front of us.  At 7:00 the birds were still in the field but never came closer than 75 yards and pretty much ignored us.  I finally had an opportunity to belly crawl and get the gobbler deke set up about 5 yards in front our blind.  The first gobbler was well over 100 yards out when he saw our decoy and started heading our way in full strut.  A second gobbler came over the hill and we suddenly had two Toms racing our way.  Shot the first one to get within 25 yards right  over the top of the decoy. 
Check out the photo of the decoy.  He isn't as pretty as the ones in the articles but he worked.  I will be adding a gobbler deke to my arsenal before next season.

Justin will be happy to send anyone instructions on how to build your own gobbler.

Spurred

RE: World's Ugliest Decoy

Postby Spurred » April 24th, 2008, 5:56 pm

That is AWESOME! And laugh out loud funny!

JPH

Postby JPH » April 25th, 2008, 3:03 am

Good news = Justin may be able to pay for college with those things.

Bad news = you just moved to the top of SILVESTRIS' hit list.

Dank

Postby Dank » April 25th, 2008, 6:24 am

That makes for a pretty good story 12B. I guess you owe your son one. lol

ORIGINAL: JPH

Bad news = you just moved to the top of SILVESTRIS' hit list.

But JPH is right, you better prepare yourself for the wrath that is silvestris. Although, i bet even he will see some humor in this one.
Failure is often our best teacher.

Otsdawa_Ridge_Runner

Postby Otsdawa_Ridge_Runner » April 25th, 2008, 8:13 am

Instantly brought a smile to my face! LOL Way to go! 
"I wish to make no connection with any ship that does not sail fast, for I intend to go in harms way"
-John Paul Jones

RutnNStrutn

Postby RutnNStrutn » April 28th, 2008, 7:33 am

Here's my homemade decoy that I named, "Psuedo-Pretty Boy". [:D]  I've hunted with him a few times the last 2 seasons, but haven't had any luck with him yet.  One day.....

12Bhunting

Postby 12Bhunting » April 28th, 2008, 8:55 am

Way too pretty!  The secret is letting the kids play with it until its hardly recognizable. 

Update:  Justin has taken JPH's reply to this post seriously and wants to start making more decoys to sell.

Here's Justin with the bird that fell for his decoy.

Gbln Fvr

Postby Gbln Fvr » May 8th, 2010, 5:39 pm

What a kick. Way to go kido!!!!!!!!!

mikeannikki

Postby mikeannikki » May 9th, 2010, 2:58 am

My buddy here in Ohio did the same thing and had the same outcome.  He put a fan and side wings on a small upright Jake deke and it  looks like a rat!  He had a bird come out and saw his "deke" at 150 yds,  he said he came in so fast he hardly had time to get on him as he was turned toward bird and not his dekes.  I think the Pretty Boy strutter is sometimes just too big and intimidating that unless he is the boss(and sometimes not even that) they don't want to mess.  I had 3 big toms walk the other way at 100 yds from my pretty boy first week of the season.  I may have to use my buddy's rat -- I mean "deke"  before the season is out yet.  Good Hunting     Mike 

Return to Photo Gallery • Post your hunting photos!