Vote for Your Favorite Friction Call - Grand Slam Turkey Call Competit

The latest news from the field!
Gobblerman

RE: Vote for Your Favorite Friction Call - Grand Slam Turkey Call Competition

Postby Gobblerman » August 22nd, 2009, 12:19 pm

ORIGINAL: nhtrkybstr

I was very impressed with all the calls, and can only imagine the hard work and dedication put in by each and every one of our custom call makers on this site!

You are all truly blessed with a unique gift!

Mike

Well said, Mike.
Jim

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » August 23rd, 2009, 6:18 am

Wouldnt it have made more sense to have the poll results hidden until the end or at least hidden until someone votes. 

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » August 23rd, 2009, 3:08 pm

> Neither group deserves insults...Just seems rather unproductive to me. <

Our twin resident perrenial naysayers specialize in unproductive, they never have a positive word to say about anything on this forum. Duly noted though.

As for the calls, very interesting what the human ear perceives. I listened to the entire set of clips three times without adjusting the volume. Perhaps not coincidentally, clips 5 and 7, the highest ranking calls, are easily the two loudest clips. I suspect they were the glass and aluminum calls if all other recording aspects were controlled.

When a turkey call is played or heard louder, the intensity increases and the "presence" jumps. It's not surprising to me that these two calls garnered the most votes. Interesting as well that louder is not always better in the turkey woods and often the calls that often sound best to human ears send birds the other way in the wild.

More food for thought- I have played professionally in blues bands for nearly 20 years. Over this time I have participated in dozens of judged band competitions, typically with 7 or 8 bands playing. Also as interesting, about 99% of the time the winning band is usually one of the last two that played. You can imagine the reasons, even though the first band might have been the most polished and the tightest, the judges are firm at the outset and the crowd, if there is one at noon, has not warmed up. By the eighth band, at 8 p.m., judging criteria goes out the window when influenced by an enthusiastic crowd that is warmed up and lubricated.

Paralleling this observation and also at play, the power of memory over the senses. The mind will almost always judge a more recent sense over a previous one if the experiences are comparable. The voting bears this out as well, with 5 & 7 not only being the loudest but among the last sampled.

Lastly, I'll echo the sentiments about the Primos Box Cutter. It is easily the best off shelf production box call available and deadly in the turkey woods.

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

Hobgoblin

Postby Hobgoblin » August 27th, 2009, 10:32 am

Which call did the turkeys like best?

charlie elk

Postby charlie elk » August 27th, 2009, 5:18 pm

Any one of those calls could work just fine in the woods. The trick is finding the right day, the right time and the right turkey to call.

VTTomTaker

Postby VTTomTaker » August 28th, 2009, 4:20 am

I want to thank Ben, Brian and the Entire Staff of Judges for putting on this competition.

As a Callmaker and avid Turkey Hunter, I make calls to be hunted with. I make no claims to have the Greatest Sounding Calls, but I think they sound "Good Enough" to bring in a turkey and of the 120 calls I've made since 2006 - I have 46 confirmed Kills of which 2 are my own. This is not my prefession, it is my hobby and to get to enter into a competition where the Judges aren't just professional callers, but actual Hunters was too much to pass up. I hope my call did well in this competition, but even if it was judged to be mediocre that will be just fine in my book because it is my customer's success and satisfaction that matters the most to me (of course, If I placed well that would be nice as well).

I am greatful to Turkey & Turkey Hunting Magazine for the exposure they are providing All of the Callmakers (Big or Small) with this competition. I wish all of the competitors the Best of Luck and it was my pleasure to enter a call.

I know that you can get a mass produced call at Wal-Mart, Cabelas, Bass Pro-Shop/Redhead or your neighborhood Sporting Goods store and many, Many Gobblers have been fallen using them and that is great! I am a Hunter and Callmaker, I use my custom calls, others' custom calls ans store bought calls and have called birds in with each type of call. As a Callmaker though, I feel like everyone who uses one of my calls is letting Me be Part of Their Hunt and How Great is That? It's The Best! So Rather than put down Custom Calls or Store-Bought Calls - Let's All Enjoy The Hunt and Root for Each Other's Success!

So Good Luck to All who Entered and Good Luck next Spring to Everyone - Have a Successful Season!

Kurt (aka The VT Tom Taker or eemer)

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » August 28th, 2009, 7:50 am

ORIGINAL: VTTomTaker

I want to thank Ben, Brian and the Entire Staff of Judges for putting on this competition.

As a Callmaker and avid Turkey Hunter, I make calls to be hunted with. I make no claims to have the Greatest Sounding Calls, but I think they sound "Good Enough" to bring in a turkey and of the 120 calls I've made since 2006 - I have 46 confirmed Kills of which 2 are my own. This is not my prefession, it is my hobby and to get to enter into a competition where the Judges aren't just professional callers, but actual Hunters was too much to pass up. I hope my call did well in this competition, but even if it was judged to be mediocre that will be just fine in my book because it is my customer's success and satisfaction that matters the most to me (of course, If I placed well that would be nice as well).

I am greatful to Turkey & Turkey Hunting Magazine for the exposure they are providing All of the Callmakers (Big or Small) with this competition. I wish all of the competitors the Best of Luck and it was my pleasure to enter a call.

I know that you can get a mass produced call at Wal-Mart, Cabelas, Bass Pro-Shop/Redhead or your neighborhood Sporting Goods store and many, Many Gobblers have been fallen using them and that is great! I am a Hunter and Callmaker, I use my custom calls, others' custom calls ans store bought calls and have called birds in with each type of call. As a Callmaker though, I feel like everyone who uses one of my calls is letting Me be Part of Their Hunt and How Great is That? It's The Best! So Rather than put down Custom Calls or Store-Bought Calls - Let's All Enjoy The Hunt and Root for Each Other's Success!

So Good Luck to All who Entered and Good Luck next Spring to Everyone - Have a Successful Season!

Kurt (aka The VT Tom Taker or eemer)

X2........Very well said Kurt
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

nhtrkybstr

Postby nhtrkybstr » August 28th, 2009, 10:51 am

Kurt,

I could'nt have said it better myself! I can't wait to come to your state next year and try my hand at some VT gobblers!

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

wingbonecaller

Postby wingbonecaller » August 28th, 2009, 7:05 pm

wisturkeyhunter, I take from your post that you must be a new hunter. I have been turkey hunting for 20 + years and have been making calls for about 15 years. I have never herd a hen turkey that sounds as good as a custom call. Most hens sound like a young hunter trying to learn how to call. I think all the calls sounded good and think all the call makers deserve a pat on the back for there effort!

wingbonecaller

Postby wingbonecaller » August 28th, 2009, 7:10 pm

Well said Sir. I also entered one of my slate calls and hope you did well. Good luck.

PreviousNext

Return to News from Turkey & Turkey Hunting