Hunting Turkeys with rifles

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
Cut N Run

RE: Hunting Turkeys with rifles

Postby Cut N Run » August 21st, 2009, 12:12 pm

Using a rifle to hunt turkeys ought to be illegal. REAL bad idea P.G.C.. I see a whole lot of opportunity for innocent by-standers to get injured in that deal. *Exactly* what is the Pennsylvania Game Commission thinking?  Somebody's going to have to get injured or killed and file charges against the State before this changes, IMO. They appear to be suffering from rectal-cranial inversion.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » August 22nd, 2009, 4:20 am

ORIGINAL: Cut N Run

Using a rifle to hunt turkeys ought to be illegal. REAL bad idea P.G.C.. I see a whole lot of opportunity for innocent by-standers to get injured in that deal. *Exactly* what is the Pennsylvania Game Commission thinking?  Somebody's going to have to get injured or killed and file charges against the State before this changes, IMO. They appear to be suffering from rectal-cranial inversion.
                                           -------------------------------------------------------

Jim

NOW THAT'S FUNNY JIM!
[:D][:D][:D][:D]
Turkeybuster

Gobblerman

Postby Gobblerman » August 22nd, 2009, 12:50 pm

I, too, must agree with all the comments posted on this topic so far.  All the points made are good ones. 

One point I haven't seen made yet is the issue of waste of game meat that results from shooting turkeys with high-powered rifles.  Back when New Mexico allowed the use of rifles (thank goodness we don't anymore!), I heard way too many stories of deer hunters shooting birds only to walk up to them and find that all that was left was a head, two wings, and two legs. 

Our grandest game bird deserves a better fate than that!!

Jim

Steve_In

Postby Steve_In » August 22nd, 2009, 12:56 pm

,,,,HEAD SHOT OR NOTHIN'!
That is what I was thinking too Mark.  Indiana is shotgun or bow only I hope they keep it that way.
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

mark hay

Postby mark hay » August 22nd, 2009, 5:25 pm

Yes SIR , STEVE,,,,same here.

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » August 23rd, 2009, 8:20 am

i saw a dick kirby use a 44 mag pistol on a rio....he called the bird in  25yds and head shot the bird...i must addmitt it was COOL....i do like the call in and head shot tech.....a friend of mines uncle ...who shot a lot of turkey used a small caliber pistol and shot the birds in the crawl....it didnt waste any meat and he called the bird in....but most riffle hunters wont bother callin they will just shoot the birds at a long range....and that opens the door for shooting fatalities...[&o]and that not turkey hunting
Break em at Night...Back at light

grizzly

Postby grizzly » August 23rd, 2009, 10:55 am

turkey hunting with a rifle is'nt turkey hunting.  up untill 5 years ago you could'nt use a rifle to hunt deer here  and i was aginst that to the old timers here for the most part carried ithaca 37 deer slayers and knew how to still hunt a lot of them quit hunting when it the new law passed . if new york passed a law to as where we could hunt turkeys in the fall with a rifle the same rule would apply as deer not when hunting on my land [:@]  [;)] wayne

rbewilson

Postby rbewilson » August 23rd, 2009, 2:30 pm

hunting turkeys with rifles just not right to me.

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » August 23rd, 2009, 4:34 pm

ORIGINAL: mark hay

ORIGINAL: Steve_In

Not on my list right now.  When I finish my .36 flinter I may have to check out the possibilities.

i still see guys running the roads and shooting birds at 100-200 yards...wow

I don't consider running the roads in hope of a shot hunting.  There is a name for those that practice road hunting....POACHERS

Unless I missed something I agree with all the previous posts .   And it would be one heck of a challenge to take one with a 36 cal. FLINTLOCK. Of course I may never get to do that . But if I ever do ,,,,tom must be inside 40 and it would be just like squirrel hunting ,,,,HEAD SHOT OR NOTHIN'! But it ain't something I dream about . My goal in turkey hunting is to fool 'em first ,,,and fool 'em good enough to get 'em close ,,,and hopefully learn something in the process.
To just pick one off with a center fire deer or varmint rifle is like someone just said ,,,,might as well be shootin' grounhogs ,,,,and that only requires marksmanship,,,,and certainly ain't an accomplishment worthy of braggin' .
so mark your using a 410 shot gun for turkey ...did you know a 44 cal bullet will fit in a 410...that why new york wont let you use  a 410 for deer and turkey.....[;)]
Break em at Night...Back at light

mark hay

Postby mark hay » August 23rd, 2009, 10:38 pm

I would never treat my grandpa's gun that way . Yes I'm using a .410 this fall . It is legal in Ohio . I have been scolded my some ,,,,,and encouraged by some ,,,,,It's just a challenge I have placed upon myself . Tom will have to be 20 yards or less before I will pull the trigger .

PreviousNext

Return to Fall Hunting