Hunting Turkeys with rifles

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
turkeydoghunter

Hunting Turkeys with rifles

Postby turkeydoghunter » August 20th, 2009, 4:40 pm

several states allow fall...and some spring opertunities to hunt turkeys with a rifle....now im all for gun rights.....but turkey hunting with a rifle well i feel its designed for opertunistic deer hunters to kill turkeys ....not for turkey hunter like US.....i hunt in PA and in the countys i hunt  i still see guys running the roads and shooting birds at 100-200 yards...wow ....guess you dont need know vest for calls....lets hear it boys  watcha ya think[:@]
Break em at Night...Back at light

Steve_In

RE: Hunting Turkeys with rifles

Postby Steve_In » August 20th, 2009, 6:16 pm

Not on my list right now.  When I finish my .36 flinter I may have to check out the possibilities.

i still see guys running the roads and shooting birds at 100-200 yards...wow

I don't consider running the roads in hope of a shot hunting.  There is a name for those that practice road hunting....POACHERS
Steve, I love "smoked" turkey

Dcoleinpa

Postby Dcoleinpa » August 20th, 2009, 10:21 pm

yep there is a bunch of fall rifle "hunters" around my area. no thank you

MzlHunter

Postby MzlHunter » August 21st, 2009, 2:25 am

Lot's of guys hunt with rifles around here. To me, turkey hunting is what it is because of the close range encounters. Take that away and I wouldn't be so crazy about it.

Duke0002

Postby Duke0002 » August 21st, 2009, 5:33 am

No thanks.  Calling them in and trying to out wit them in general is my sport.  If I want 100 yd plus target practice, I'll do it on a range.  JMO

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » August 21st, 2009, 5:57 am

Hi RON
Nice picture of you and your companions in Turkey Country Congrats. I don't like the rifle idea but the P.G.C. won't budge on the issue. The NWTF. has been fighting against it for years but to no avail.
Might as well hunt groundhogs as carry a rifle for turkeys and it is dangerous think about it your dogs might look like turkeys on a hill side at 200yds. to a over zealous road hunter. Not for it!
Jon
Turkeybuster

Dcoleinpa

Postby Dcoleinpa » August 21st, 2009, 7:09 am

exactly first of all it isnt safe and second of all it is not hunting it is just turkey shooting

rsmithpa

Postby rsmithpa » August 21st, 2009, 7:39 am

Dcoleinpa and Turkeybuster,

I couldn't agree more with both of you.  I wish PA would go the route of New York which is shotgun only. Using a rifle is not turkey hunting IMO.  The thrill and the fun of turkey hunting whether spring or fall is calling them in close and using your woodsmanship in finding them and making a good set up.
Full Fans, Longbeards, and Sharp Spurs

nhtrkybstr

Postby nhtrkybstr » August 21st, 2009, 10:35 am

A rifle is no way to hunt the most majestic game bird the Good Lord ever created.

We can only hunt turkeys with shotgun or bow in NH, AND EVEN IF WE COULD'NT, NO WAY, NO HOW with a rifle!

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

mark hay

Postby mark hay » August 21st, 2009, 11:43 am

ORIGINAL: Steve_In

Not on my list right now.  When I finish my .36 flinter I may have to check out the possibilities.

i still see guys running the roads and shooting birds at 100-200 yards...wow

I don't consider running the roads in hope of a shot hunting.  There is a name for those that practice road hunting....POACHERS

Unless I missed something I agree with all the previous posts .   And it would be one heck of a challenge to take one with a 36 cal. FLINTLOCK. Of course I may never get to do that . But if I ever do ,,,,tom must be inside 40 and it would be just like squirrel hunting ,,,,HEAD SHOT OR NOTHIN'! But it ain't something I dream about . My goal in turkey hunting is to fool 'em first ,,,and fool 'em good enough to get 'em close ,,,and hopefully learn something in the process.
 To just pick one off with a center fire deer or varmint rifle is like someone just said ,,,,might as well be shootin' grounhogs ,,,,and that only requires marksmanship,,,,and certainly ain't an accomplishment worthy of braggin' .

Next

Return to Fall Hunting