So now what?

Ask questions of and offer advice to fellow turkey hunters
DeanoZ

So now what?

Postby DeanoZ » May 11th, 2010, 6:33 am

Well fellas, after two days back to back of not hearing a single gobble or seeing my Tom, I'm somewhat perplexed and trying to figure my next move.  Last week I had him in my sites a couple times, but could not close the deal.  Got sick and could not finish out the week, so yesterday and this morning were my two chances at redemption, but no sign of the Tom.  Matter of fact I saw one lone hen yesterday who was feeding in the field, and a different one on the opposite side today.  Tomorrow its supposed to rain, how hard I'm not sure but was planning to take that day off from hunting...the 0300 wakeups get to me after two in a row and I need to recharge.

As best as I can figure it looks like the hens are on the nest and we are in the post breeding lull.  With that in mind, it looks like last week was my best chance to nail this Tom, and thats assuming someone did not take him out already during the time I was down hard with the flu.  I suspect there is one other Gob and at least a couple jakes running around that area so assuming they have not left the area, there is opportunity.  Additionally we've had a bit of a cold snap over the last two days, so I'm wondering if this is why they are clammed up and sitting tight...is that possible?

So I guess my question is where to go from here?  Based on the lack of pressure and "other hunter" presence, I don't think he was shot....plus he is pretty savy, so for now I'm going to assume he is still around...besides that's all i got to hang my hopes on, lol!  With that assumption in mind what would be the best way to hunt him going forward?  If we are as far into the season as I think we are, is it worth it to continue to setup in his strut zone or the areas between which he roosts and feeds?  BTW , I'm not sure where he is roosting now, but its not the same place as before...at least I've not seen him flydown.  My sense is he is staying in the thin strip of woods from which he roosts, so would a call, locate, run & gun style be a better approach...mind you they have not responded to any locator calls...but the real crows have been really good at letting me know where they are at.  Should I hunt the rain tomorrow in the hopes that it drives them into the field?

What i am considering is the following...

1.  Hunt the strut zone on Thursday morning, it will be warmer...assuming that the cold temps in the last couple days have something to do with them being tightlipped.  By 7:30 I've usually seen my Tom make his appearance.

2  If by 0730 he does not appear I plan to hit the two track that boarders the strip of woods...do some calling and locating..and keep a sharp ear out for the crows.  if I get a response or see a Tom, I'll setup and try and bring him in with some soft clucks and purrs, scratching etc...no aggressive calls

3.  If that does not work, there is another field in the interior of the property that I've been wanting to get to that you cannot see from the road...they could be hanging out there as well

4.  ..and if none of that works I'm going to have to spend some time scouting newer areas and trying to roost them...this is the least desired simply because my schedule , the distance of where I hunt from my house, and the baby just don't make it practical for me to show up at home after 9pm...not if I want to stay within the good graces of my wife, lol.

Now if we are in T4 (or T6 according to other charts), I'm not sure what else I can do if the birds ain't feeling it...so any advice is greatly appreciated.  Thanks fellas![:D]

WillowRidgeCalls

RE: So now what?

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » May 11th, 2010, 8:54 am

Our birds here are in the roaming stage. They are covering a lot of ground, they may be here one day and a mile down the road the next. That other field may be a good spot to start in if it's near the center of your hunting area. That way you can run n gun in all directions. If you don't hear a bird then move from one strut zone to another until you strike one up.
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » May 11th, 2010, 10:58 am

ORIGINAL: WillowRidgeCalls

Our birds here are in the roaming stage. They are covering a lot of ground, they may be here one day and a mile down the road the next. That other field may be a good spot to start in if it's near the center of your hunting area. That way you can run n gun in all directions. If you don't hear a bird then move from one strut zone to another until you strike one up.

Sounds like perhaps I'm jumping the gun then thinking the end is near?  I guess I assumed they were more territorial than that.  Ok well then its back to the strut zone and if that don't pan out I'm running n gunning!

Gbln Fvr

Postby Gbln Fvr » May 11th, 2010, 1:05 pm

To me, if you think the hens are sitting on the nests now, that's great! Mid morning (around 8:30 - 9:00) start moving around. I'll sound like a lonely hen. Hopefully you will find yourself a lonely Gobbler, and BOOM your done. It's been a great tactic for me. Good Luck.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » May 11th, 2010, 5:24 pm

ORIGINAL: Gbln Fvr

To me, if you think the hens are sitting on the nests now, that's great! Mid morning (around 8:30 - 9:00) start moving around. I'll sound like a lonely hen. Hopefully you will find yourself a lonely Gobbler, and BOOM your done. It's been a great tactic for me. Good Luck.

Yes, I had actually thought of that, however here is the rub...I end my hunts at 8am, not because i want to but because I have to get to work.  And one thing that has come to my mind is the very thing you speak of...they could be moving around and lurking back in the strut zone looking for a lone hen.  Unfortunately, I'm not around to see it.  But thanks for the tip, if I manage to get more time off, I'll give it a try.

icdedturkes

Postby icdedturkes » May 11th, 2010, 11:45 pm

You are right and alot of folks do not realize post strut is kinda like post rut and gobblers will go on a road trip looking for one last receptive hen.. Alot of times it provides an easy hunt as the gobbler is in unfamiliar territory, doesnt recognize the hens and many times alone.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » May 12th, 2010, 3:48 am

ORIGINAL: icdedturkes

You are right and alot of folks do not realize post strut is kinda like post rut and gobblers will go on a road trip looking for one last receptive hen.. Alot of times it provides an easy hunt as the gobbler is in unfamiliar territory, doesnt recognize the hens and many times alone.

This is all great, but one of the issues in my area is the birds are rather tightlipped and not very responsive to my calls to include locator calls.  So if I'm running and gunning and trying to locate them its tough!

Gbln Fvr

Postby Gbln Fvr » May 12th, 2010, 4:27 am

Take the day off. You deserve it!!!! [:D] Locator calls havn't worked that well for me during the day, but yelping has. Good Luck.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » May 12th, 2010, 10:40 am

Did you see any of his favored strut zones while you were scouting before the season?  I would look near there, especially if there were some dust bowls nearby.  That gobbler (and all gobblers) are on a last-ditch effort to find a receptive hen, but they cover more territory than thay had top before.  If you know where a few of his favorite strut zones are, you may get a crack at him again.
Good luck.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » May 12th, 2010, 10:49 am

Jim,  that's how I located him the week prior to the season opener...he was in his strut zone...his favorite was the area I'm hunting right now...the only other spot I know he may be is the private property and I can't hunt that, but the setups I'm in now put me in between both strut zones.  The only other place i can think of its that one field on the other side of the strip of woods...I know for sure the hens ( and him if he's still alive) hid out in those woods, which was one of the reasons i was also going to try my hand at run and gun...but there is also a field in the interior of the property and the two track runs near it...i have a funny feeling that he may be there as well.  just hard to tell at all because they are not vocal at all right now.

Return to Strategies