Vote for Your Favorite Friction Call - Grand Slam Turkey Call Competit

The latest news from the field!
Frozen Crow

RE: Vote for Your Favorite Friction Call - Grand Slam Turkey Call Competition

Postby Frozen Crow » August 17th, 2009, 5:18 pm

ORIGINAL: wingertswoodworks

I sure didn't see much wrong with the calling at all personally. It was a fair assortment of turkey sounds commonly made with friction calls. A lot of call makers certainly worked hard on the winning and non-winning calls and a lot of people worked hard to get the sound files up for us to choose from. Neither group deserves insults...Just seems rather unproductive to me.

Well said!!  There are alot of us that appreciate the efforts of both the call makers and the folks at T&TH for running the contest and posting the files. 

wingertswoodworks

Postby wingertswoodworks » August 17th, 2009, 6:43 pm

I edited my post since the post I was responding to has been deleted.
Thank you

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » August 18th, 2009, 10:07 am

OK guys let's try this again, one more time!!! Those calls were recorded in a sound proof room as Brian said. Knowing that, they are NOT going to sound like a live bird. A call depends on the echo to make it sound right. Take your best sounding pot call and lay it on top of a folded up bath towel and push it down hard into the towel, then play it, that'll give you some kind of an idea of what a sound proof room does to a calls sound. The same with a box call, fill it full of TP or cotton balls and see if it sounds right. Without that echo it'll sound like a call made out of a cardboard box. Even mouth calls echo inside your mouth or off your teeth to get the right sound, that's why no two people sound the same using them, even if they were two champion calls using the same call. If you can get a call to break any at all in a sound proof room That's a heck of a call and a dang good caller. They didn't ask which call sounded the most like a turkey, they just asked which one sounded better??
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

mark hay

Postby mark hay » August 18th, 2009, 1:37 pm

[:D]

mark hay

Postby mark hay » August 18th, 2009, 1:46 pm

Sorry ,, my finger won't keep up with my walnut.  The thought occured to me as I clicked on ''submit post'' .
My son has one of those ''Primos Box Cutter'' box calls . Both Chris and myself have run the call while sitting in the house or truck , and even out in the woods . Up close it sounds ''GOOD ENOUGH''. But I discovered this past spring season , while Chris was running the call at around 60-70 yards away from me , that it really sounds great . Can't say if all Box Cutters sound that good ,,,,,,,,,,,,,but this one is a box full of turkey.

harmonden

Postby harmonden » August 19th, 2009, 9:10 am

recordings always lose something.....................never as good as hav'in the caller in your hand...............sound is'nt bad for record'in...............

Turkeycaller

Postby Turkeycaller » August 19th, 2009, 12:27 pm

All turkey killers...for sure.

Pretty cool...I opened a page for each file and played them at the same time...."BIG FLOCK" !!!!

Thanks......

rutnstrutgamecalls

Postby rutnstrutgamecalls » August 19th, 2009, 12:29 pm

When I first listened to the sound files of these calls I did not care for them. They seemed too fast and choppy. I know Brian is a very good Turkey Caller so I got off my Wife's Desktop and got on my Laptop to listen to the Sound Files again. They sounded totally different on my Laptop. 

After doing this I realized that both Computers had the same version of Internet Explorer running on them. I found that each computer was using a different Media Player to play the Sound Files. This seems to be what was causing the problem. I corrected this and listened to the Sound Files again on my Wifes Computer. The Sound Files, sounded the same as they did on my Laptop. Problem Solved. 

As Harmonden stated above recording will give you a good representation of how a call will sound when you play it. However there are some limitations, due to limitations of the equipment available to the average person in their home. Most Calls will sound much better than a Sound File when you have the call in your own hands!

I really appreciate all the effort that Ben and Brian and the T & TH Staff have put into this competition and look forward to seeing the Pictures and finding out how everyone did! Thanks Brian, Ben and Staff for holding this Contest!  
Tim Sandford
rutnstrutgamecalls@juno.com
www.rutnstrutgamecalls.com
NWTF Award Winning Call Maker
NWTF Diamond Life Sponsor Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member
Ducks Unlimited
NRA

nhtrkybstr

Postby nhtrkybstr » August 22nd, 2009, 12:02 pm

I was very impressed with all the calls, and can only imagine the hard work and dedication put in by each and every one of our custom call makers on this site!

You are all truly blessed with a unique gift!

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

nhtrkybstr

Postby nhtrkybstr » August 22nd, 2009, 12:05 pm

Mark,

I have to add a comment about the primos box cutter call.

I have one, and I love it!

I was able to call in the turkey I killed this spring with it.

For an off the shelf call, it works very well!

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

PreviousNext

Return to News from Turkey & Turkey Hunting