SPEAKIN' TOMS LANGUAGE

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
mark hay

SPEAKIN' TOMS LANGUAGE

Postby mark hay » July 24th, 2009, 2:27 pm

It has probably been discussed before , but I don't really remember at this time and didn't feel like lookin' for the thread .

Do you practice toms language ?
Do you use a specific call or several types to do it ?
Do you stay away from the vocalizations of hens ,and poults when you are workin' a tom?

Dcoleinpa

RE: SPEAKIN' TOMS LANGUAGE

Postby Dcoleinpa » July 24th, 2009, 2:35 pm

ive been messing with tom talk on box calls and a cane yelper a lot this week

thunderchicken

Postby thunderchicken » July 24th, 2009, 3:05 pm

I am curious about the toms vocalizations
Impatience is hard to ignore, but patience puts the bird in the truck!

MzlHunter

Postby MzlHunter » July 24th, 2009, 4:10 pm

I've been recording myself using a couple different calls to see which one produces the best gobbler vocalizations. So far a small little glass call sounds the best to me.

eggshell

Postby eggshell » July 25th, 2009, 3:38 am

I have a certain mouth call that only comes out of the fridge in the fall. When it gives up the ghost I'll panic, because I've found few others that come close. Yet some of the raspy multi-reed cut calls do fairly well.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » July 25th, 2009, 3:51 am

I have two of StevePa's mouthcalls. I can't keep them straight in my mind as to their names . But , they will both talk TOM extremely well.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » July 25th, 2009, 4:22 am

I practice tom talk as much as hen vocalizations .
As to calls , I attempt to get Tom out of all my calls . Some are better than others . The little ''cedar hill'' scratchbox is a jewell . My old walnut ''Rocky Fork Calls'' box call is pretty good . I been working on the wingbone since back in the spring , with not too good success. Also a couple different slates that I will use mainly for loud gobbler clucks .
My mainstay and '' GO TO'' call is the Havoc and Extreme Kee mouthcalls from StevePa. They will produce , with great ease , all of toms vocalizations , including the gobble .

I will not offer any hen or poult calls when attempting to fool a fall tom . If I'm playing with a flock of young and for some reason a tom responds I'll just have to change it up, or move , or both .
 Last fall on two separate hunts , and two different locations , by ten miles , I began a series of gobbler cutts and slid right into a short series of yelps . Both times as quick as I stopped a gobbler clucked right back. Both birds came in close . The first was alone and survived the incident due to my inability to hold a bow at full draw for a minute . The other was one of 4 two year and a half year old toms that came in to 10 yards . The one died at 12 steps . It was by far the most colorful , beautiful bird I have ever killed . Not to forget , it was absolutely an extreme thrill to watch those birds come through the brush and cedars to find this unknown ''cutt up''.
Another thing , while we are here, is that there wasn't a tree within 10 feet of me when I pulled the trigger on that bird . I was standing in a little clearing .

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » July 26th, 2009, 8:17 am

i like to start with tree calling real soft ...with the dogs  on their tail the birds are usally treed....then i mimic the birds
Break em at Night...Back at light

grunt_doc

Postby grunt_doc » July 26th, 2009, 8:40 am

I've been able to get some real nice raspy, low-tones tom calls from my copper over glass, cherry pot call made by Fox's Custom Game Calls, in Camden, NY. Great call, great customer service. Can't ask for better than that.

Marlinspike Lanyards

mark hay

Postby mark hay » July 26th, 2009, 11:36 am

Way to go Matt .

Next

Return to Fall Hunting