fall plans

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
wisturkeyhunter

RE: fall plans

Postby wisturkeyhunter » July 6th, 2009, 6:40 am

We use a tick collar and frontline or advantix on our dog for double protection and it seems to even help more. Haven't found a live one on him all year.
Theres young school and theres old school.
I'm still in school.

AWTHDA

Postby AWTHDA » July 6th, 2009, 7:44 am

All of those products have the potential to cause cancer, depending on how sensitive the dog is to the ingredients. Look up Methoprene and Fipronil. It isn't appropriate to put on your children, but it's okay for pets?! But then permethrin is allowed to be directly applied to equines for fly control.
I wouldn't recommend an extra tick collar, unless it's a 100% natural, herbal ingredient type. Frontline Plus takes care of ticks, fleas, mites, lice, and mange. I also use Heartguard to protect against heartworm and other worms. That's enough chemicals to apply/ingest - I wouldn't use any except the alternative is much worse.
BTW there's a new one out called BioSpot that's a lot cheaper, but do your research first, it looks like a lot of dogs have got sick or died from it, and don't get the tick protection you want anyway. Also be aware there is counterfeit Frontline out there, google it and you'll see how to tell the difference between authentic Frontline and the counterfeit ones.

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » July 6th, 2009, 12:39 pm

ORIGINAL: AWTHDA

All of those products have the potential to cause cancer, depending on how sensitive the dog is to the ingredients. Look up Methoprene and Fipronil. It isn't appropriate to put on your children, but it's okay for pets?! But then permethrin is allowed to be directly applied to equines for fly control.
I wouldn't recommend an extra tick collar, unless it's a 100% natural, herbal ingredient type. Frontline Plus takes care of ticks, fleas, mites, lice, and mange. I also use Heartguard to protect against heartworm and other worms. That's enough chemicals to apply/ingest - I wouldn't use any except the alternative is much worse.
BTW there's a new one out called BioSpot that's a lot cheaper, but do your research first, it looks like a lot of dogs have got sick or died from it, and don't get the tick protection you want anyway. Also be aware there is counterfeit Frontline out there, google it and you'll see how to tell the difference between authentic Frontline and the counterfeit ones.

We've got bio spot on him now and it seems to be working fine. One of the companies I think it was k9 advantix recommended to use the collar and to apply every 3 weeks instead of every month because 1 month and the oil wasn't enough for us. He still had plenty of ticks on him alive. I think alot of it had to do with how much the dog gets wet. He swims almost daily. He also has the lyme vaccination.
I'm still in school.

AWTHDA

Postby AWTHDA » July 7th, 2009, 5:03 am

I apply Frontline between the dogs shoulders once a month based on the dogs weight, leave their collars off for the day, and keep them out of the water for at least a day until it soaks into their bloodstream. Once it's in their system they should be able to swim every day. Any ticks that get on them don't last long. I use Frontline because that's what the Vet recommends, and I'm satisifed with it. They get the Lymes vaccination too. I don't know of any independent comparisons with Advantix, Biospot or any other, just anecdotal comments on some. Maybe the Vets choose which brand they recommend based on their sales commission. All I can tell you is Frontline works for me, without any additional collar, they get it applied from March through October. I have a shorthaired dachsund which it's very easy to see ticks on, and if I find any on him, I check Keena's longer hair. But then the little deer ticks that cause Lymes are impossible to find anyway, hence the need for Frontline.
Anyone coming to hunt Wisconsin this fall, don't try to save money on tick prevention or you'll not only be picking ticks off your dog, you'll be checking yourself all night too.

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » July 7th, 2009, 12:38 pm

thanks adam and jon very informative...i use advantixs it works for the fleas ticks and skeeters too ....permenon is very important too....that last week of sept would be the week id go ....ny opens oct 1st....
Break em at Night...Back at light

AWTHDA

Postby AWTHDA » July 7th, 2009, 3:55 pm

Apparently there's a lot of concern about these products, enough that the EPA called a meeting in May 2009.
Increased Scrutiny of Flea and Tick Control Products for Pets
Updated June 23, 2009
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency is intensifying its evaluation of spot-on pesticide products for flea and tick control due to recent increases in the number of reported adverse reactions in pets treated with these products. Adverse reactions reported range from mild effects such as skin irritation to more serious effects such as seizures and, in some cases, death of the pet.
Also, before use of these products on weak, aged, medicated, sick, pregnant or nursing pets, or on pets that have previously shown signs of sensitivity to pesticide products, EPA recommends that a veterinarian be consulted. http://www.epa.gov/opp00001/health/flea ... ntrol.html

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » July 7th, 2009, 4:32 pm

Biggest problem I can think of the last week of sept. is that it might be to hot to hunt your dogs. Ticks will no doubt still be bad then but they can be dealt with.
I'm still in school.

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » July 7th, 2009, 4:35 pm

thanks very interesting....i dont treat my pets in the winter its plenty cold but if we go south i do treat them .....jon is there any good state land for hunting the birds....WI early season kinda has my interest...me and the kids are  hankering for some turkey dogging....

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » July 7th, 2009, 4:38 pm

that stinks maybe it will get cold....whens the pheasant season...maybe i cando a combo hunt

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » July 7th, 2009, 4:47 pm

ORIGINAL: turkeydoghunter

that stinks maybe it will get cold....whens the pheasant season...maybe i cando a combo hunt

We've ran our dog plenty in Sept after grouse so it just depends if its going to be to hot. As far as pheasants I don't know if any of the counties that are open for dogs this year are good for ditch chickens. I know I could get pheasants and turkey in the same day in some of my pheasant hunting spots but they aren't open for turkey doggin until 2010.
I'm still in school.

PreviousNext

Return to Fall Hunting