WHAT'S YOUR IDEA ?

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
eggshell

RE: WHAT'S YOUR IDEA ?

Postby eggshell » June 17th, 2009, 10:55 am

Give me cool dry weather. cool enough to stop skeeters and crunchy to hear em walking and scratching and leaves still on for cover. I have killed many a fall bird because I heard them scratching first, they won't always answer a call loud enough to hear. 

mark hay

Postby mark hay » June 17th, 2009, 12:46 pm

Eggshell is right ,,,,The first fall bird I had answer a call , I thought was over 50 yards . Turned out to be about 10 . The lead hen caught me standing on one leg . Very faint cluck was all she did . She did that in answer to a gobbler cluck .

Like many I'll take about any type of weather . But I prefer clear cold mornings , no wind , no leaves on the timber , high temps reaching the low 50's in the afternoon . Clear frosty mornings , them birds can be heard a long distance from the roost. By afternoon the leaves on the ground will dry out and I can hug the cedar slopes for cover and move quietly , listening for the faintest of turkey talk or leaf scratching . Them ol' longbeards make a lot of racket in the deep , fresh fallen oak leaves , making their long strokes searching for mast and insects.
 I'm ready !!  Can have the necessities in the truck in under five minutes ,,,,Let's go!

thunderchicken

Postby thunderchicken » June 17th, 2009, 1:36 pm

Man, I am getting pumped more and more with every post! Our season opens Sept. 15th so it is still a little warm midday so I will probably stick to early morning roost set ups and glassing fields for turkeys feeding on bugs and looking for water sources!
Impatience is hard to ignore, but patience puts the bird in the truck!

mark hay

Postby mark hay » June 17th, 2009, 1:43 pm

SEPT. 15th ?  ,,,,,,,DA'GUMMIT! that's almost a month ahead of the Buckeye state .

MAKEemQUIVER

Postby MAKEemQUIVER » June 20th, 2009, 2:41 am

For a morning hunt I like it clear and cool, they just seem to be more vocal. Our first shotgun season is the last week of Oct. and I love how the leaves are, some off and all of them turning their beautiful colors. Now if I'm heading out for an afternoon hunt I dont mind to see some light rain, gets them out in the fields and it really helps out on locating a flock.

thunderchicken

Postby thunderchicken » June 20th, 2009, 4:00 am

Our season opens as an archery only either sex season and goes to Dec.15th! There is a short shotgun season from Oct. 12th to the 16th (Monday - Friday). 3 months to hunt turkeys!
Impatience is hard to ignore, but patience puts the bird in the truck!

Turkeybuster

Postby Turkeybuster » June 20th, 2009, 5:07 pm

ALL of the above!
Turkeybuster

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » July 7th, 2009, 12:57 pm

Break em at Night...Back at light

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » July 7th, 2009, 1:03 pm

anytime junior and dixie lou breaks em up....lol ...last years opening day of NY

Break em at Night...Back at light

nhtrkybstr

Postby nhtrkybstr » July 7th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Mark,

Excellent thread!

I have to say a morning in the 30's with highs hitting 50 or so, slightly overcast. Calm winds, and the woods damp from an evening rain.
Essentially the same conditions I like for deer.
You guys are getting me pumped! Are we there yet, dad?

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

PreviousNext

Return to Fall Hunting