Publish Turkey and turkey Hunting all year long!

Comments and suggestions about T&TH are welcome here.
rutnstrutgamecalls

Publish Turkey and turkey Hunting all year long!

Postby rutnstrutgamecalls » July 5th, 2009, 2:50 pm

Has the Staff of T & TH ever thought about publishing T & TH all year long? I live and breath Turkey Hunting, Turkey Calling and Turkey Call Making all year long. I hunt Turkey both Spring and Fall! Between Turkey Hunting, Making Calls, Competing in Turkey Calling Contests, it is a year long addiction for me! I think you would find that there are a lot more people like me around the country that would love to be able to pick up a current copy of T & TH so they can get their Turkey Hunting fix all year long! 
Tim Sandford
rutnstrutgamecalls@juno.com
www.rutnstrutgamecalls.com
NWTF Award Winning Call Maker
NWTF Diamond Life Sponsor Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member
Ducks Unlimited
NRA

JW

RE: Publish Turkey and turkey Hunting all year long!

Postby JW » July 5th, 2009, 5:17 pm

I'm with you Tim. I'd be checking the mailbox every month for it.

Jason

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » July 5th, 2009, 5:20 pm

I'm not answering for the editorial staff, but my bet is that they'd like to publish every month. Long ago, almost every magazine did. Now, there are bi-monthlies, quarterlies, and those whose publishing schedule revolves around the season (deer, turkey, whatever) is. Today print magazines are driven so much by advertising dollars and by the increasingly challenging economics of postage and paper costs.

Anyone outside the publishing world has little idea of the financial challenges a magazine has to cope with. Paper prices are bouncing all the time, and when postage rates rise they can't automatically pass on the increase to subscribers. When they do, circulation goes down, so revenue goes down. (It's like taxes. Raise taxes and people spend less, producing lower tax revenues.)

Right now is a particularly difficult time because in the down economy advertisers are buying less ad space, which has a big effect on page count and the bottom line.

Given the realities in today's world, I would expect fewer magazines before I'd expect more.

I don't represent the magazine, so those are just my thoughts. I'd like to hear from the staff because this question is asked often.

Steve 
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

JW

Postby JW » July 5th, 2009, 5:26 pm

Good point Steve. At least we can come here to get our fix between issues.

Jason

mark hay

Postby mark hay » July 6th, 2009, 1:45 am

I admit that I don't know squat about the publishing world . But ,I too would greatly enjoy at least one more issue in the summer months .

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » July 6th, 2009, 3:21 am

Like everyone else I'd be glad to have more of a good thing like this publication.

I write some articles for a trade magazine thats puts out 6 issues a year. My understanding is that marketing sponsorship has been harder to come by and the size of the publication has been reduced. Less pages etc. Also many of the trade shows have suffered as well.

Not sure how any of this effects outdoor magazines but I suspect we're all feeling the effects in some way.

That said I'd pay more to read more of T&TH magazine

Bobby
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » July 6th, 2009, 5:39 am

ORIGINAL: JW

Good point Steve. At least we can come here to get our fix between issues.

Jason

That's a good argument for more articles on the T&TH website -- articles that are exclusive to the website. That should build traffic on the website, and draw more advertisers to the online format. The benefit to the advertisers is that the results of their website ads should be more measurable than the result of their print advertising.

Steve
When [url="http://www.EverydayHunter.com"]"The Everyday Hunter"[/url] isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

WillowRidgeCalls

Postby WillowRidgeCalls » July 15th, 2009, 11:47 am

XX2 couldn't agree more with you Tim
ORIGINAL: rutnstrutgamecalls

Has the Staff of T & TH ever thought about publishing T & TH all year long? I live and breath Turkey Hunting, Turkey Calling and Turkey Call Making all year long. I hunt Turkey both Spring and Fall! Between Turkey Hunting, Making Calls, Competing in Turkey Calling Contests, it is a year long addiction for me! I think you would find that there are a lot more people like me around the country that would love to be able to pick up a current copy of T & TH so they can get their Turkey Hunting fix all year long! 
WillowRidgeCalls
WI Youth & LTH Mentor
Dodge Co. NWTF
Scott

nhtrkybstr

Postby nhtrkybstr » July 15th, 2009, 12:44 pm

I would subscribe, and I know the arguments both ways. However, the cost of the magazine for only 6 issues is prohibitive of me purchasing it.

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

grizzly

Postby grizzly » July 15th, 2009, 9:27 pm

i do'nt know any thing about it but do'nt the same people publish deer and deer hunting the other six months i get both and they're both the best[:D] wayne

Next

Return to Magazine Feedback