First & only double

Whether you're a 10-year-old kid or a 40-year-old kid-at-heart, bagging that first bird is a thrill. This is the place to share photos and stories of your first harvest.
Cut N Run

First & only double

Postby Cut N Run » May 28th, 2009, 6:40 pm

This is a picture (taken with a rickety film camera) of a double I shot with one shot from my trusty Stevens single shot (slung over my left shoulder) in the early-1990's. They came in as a pair and I was holding on the bigger one who was strutting.  Just as I dropped the hammer, I saw the second bird run into view.  They both went down like bowling pins.  I had already killed a good bird a few days before, so the second bird put me over the limit.  The landowner tagged the second bird, so I cleaned it for his family to enjoy.

The gobbler I intended to shoot weighed 23 pounds and the smaller bird weighed just over 21.  They were at 18 yards when I shot.

I wish I had a picture of my first-ever bird, but the event was not preserved. It has been fun digging through old pictures and thinking about those hunts.

Jim

Luck Counts, good or bad

Bobbyparks

RE: First & only double

Postby Bobbyparks » May 31st, 2009, 3:47 am

44 lbs of turkey with one blast.

Very good

wingbone

Postby wingbone » May 31st, 2009, 5:16 am

You know Cut N Run if money is tight maybe we can get a collection together on the forum and buy you another shotgun shell! [:D][:D][:D]

Seriously that must have been some shocker seeing both birds fold up like that. Nice big birds too. Congrats.

MAKEemQUIVER

Postby MAKEemQUIVER » June 4th, 2009, 4:11 pm

Loving the pics Cut n Run!

JW

Postby JW » July 2nd, 2009, 4:25 am

Very nice. A similar thing happened to me a few years ago. Funny thing is, If we tried to do that, we would probably miss 'em both!

Jason

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » July 2nd, 2009, 5:28 am

heres a luck shot from last fall...

JW

Postby JW » July 2nd, 2009, 5:31 am

Trkyklr,

Where's the story that goes along with this pic?

Jason

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » July 2nd, 2009, 5:39 am

no story really...i knew where they were roosted & kinda deer hunted them...not my proudest of killz....& my LAST "deer hunt"...i mean we talked to each other...but i knew where they were goin...i don't think the conversation would have mattered...now i just bust'em & call'em...

...it shouldn't have happened that way at all...one of the wise hens saw me...& putted...when she did that group came together..& i dropped the hammer....bet there was 100 birds in the flock...fly down took a minute...

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » July 2nd, 2009, 2:52 pm

trkylr,

Are grenade launchers legal in your state are do you incorporate land mine fields into your program??
ACME PRO STAFF
Make Every Hunt a Blast With ACME Hunting Systems

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » July 2nd, 2009, 3:34 pm

nah....i didn't have nothin but my rat shot shootin' uzi....[;)]

Next

Return to First Time Turkeys