fall plans

Discuss turkey hunting's "second season" here
wisturkeyhunter

RE: fall plans

Postby wisturkeyhunter » July 1st, 2009, 3:05 pm

I carry a pump 12 gauge rigged for grouse and have turkey choke/loads in my pocket. I've been known to use high brass 5's for grouse though incase of a close turkey encounter before I have the chance to change out choke/loads.
Theres young school and theres old school.
I'm still in school.

thunderchicken

Postby thunderchicken » July 1st, 2009, 3:05 pm

Alright, How far to Wisconsin? I need to put it in the GPS in the truck!

thats an awesome deal for non residents! I will have to look into that state more!
Impatience is hard to ignore, but patience puts the bird in the truck!

mark hay

Postby mark hay » July 1st, 2009, 3:09 pm

No sir , it ain't that far . It's wouldn't matter if it was just across the river .  It's the money ,,,,,,,,,,,ain't enough now . I'd love to go several places to play with the turkeys . But I 'll be alright for now just pokin' 'round these southern ohio ridges ,,,,,,,,and thinkin' 'bout you fellers with unlimited tags .

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » July 1st, 2009, 3:10 pm

ORIGINAL: trkyklr

besides,,,i don't think adam...could keep up[:D] 

Come up and hunt in mid december we'll see who is sitting in the truck cause he got a little cold.[:D]
I'm still in school.

mark hay

Postby mark hay » July 1st, 2009, 3:29 pm

After the stories I've heard about last winter in Tenn. I doubt Ken would be found in the truck ,,,,,,,,,,,unless he was on his way to check in his bird .

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » July 1st, 2009, 4:02 pm

ORIGINAL: mark hay

After the stories I've heard about last winter in Tenn. I doubt Ken would be found in the truck ,,,,,,,,,,,unless he was on his way to check in his bird .

AAAmen....

wisturkeyhunter

Postby wisturkeyhunter » July 1st, 2009, 4:08 pm

Ken complained about a tn. winter. [:D] Coldest winter day in Tn. is a nice winter day in Wisconsin. I hunted pheasants/grouse several times in December of 08 when it was below 0 with butt deep snow.
I'm still in school.

trkyklr

Postby trkyklr » July 2nd, 2009, 4:38 am

no complaints from me....[8|]...anyway....i was 100 yardz past the state line...so "technicaly" i was in kan'tucky..[;)]..

turkeydoghunter

Postby turkeydoghunter » July 5th, 2009, 6:12 pm

jon i here the ticks are bad WI is there any truth to that....
Break em at Night...Back at light

AWTHDA

Postby AWTHDA » July 6th, 2009, 6:00 am

Yes, generally the ticks are very bad in WI, especially when it's warm out. You'd want to treat your dog with Frontline or Frontline Plus a month before you come and then every month you're here. I treat all my clothes, vest, shoes, gloves, hat, dog bag, chair, camo, or anything else except the gun, calls and eyeglasses with permethrin, and then don't wash the clothes until the season is over, and I haven't had a problem. I got lymes disease about 5 years ago from not having any protection on myself, and have done this routine ever since. With Frontline, the ticks will still crawl on the dog, but die shortly after drinking their blood. But the ticks will likely crawl off the dog onto the hunter if they're not protected too. That permethrin is potentially nasty cancer causing stuff so handle carefully.

PreviousNext

Return to Fall Hunting