My first season my first bird

Whether you're a 10-year-old kid or a 40-year-old kid-at-heart, bagging that first bird is a thrill. This is the place to share photos and stories of your first harvest.
1Morgan

My first season my first bird

Postby 1Morgan » June 20th, 2009, 10:47 am

I have never had a hunting license in my life (i'm 39) but something bit me this winter to go turkey hunting. I was warned by many to wait for deer season to begin my hunting career but this affliction, that is turkey hunting, was not fully explained to me.

I got my license, borrowed a shotgun, borrowed some shells, got some cheap cammo and a few calls. I was lucky enough to have a vet turkey hunter (my uncle) take me under his wing and teach me some sounds NOT to make. I really put a lot of time into mouth calling as i shake a bit to begin with and new i would never be able to hold a pot still if a turkey did present itself.

I don't have any private land to hunt so I had to wait an extra 2 weeks for the public lands to open which was fine as it allowed me to get some extra scouting in with my uncle. I took a week off work to dedicate some time to hunting.

The week was interesting I learned a lot. I heard some gobbles, got some responses, busted an...orgy...had an alligator growl at me, a few deer snuck in on me, and some buzzards made me think i busted some more!!!

I was excited for Saturday my uncle was off and another friend was in town and they were both going to call for me. As we were leaving the house my uncle slipped on the steps and threw his back out but went anyway. He was miserable and we called it aftere an hour. On Easter Sunday he was still out of commission and i set out alone on the Savannah Wildlife Refuge.

I set up at first light near a pond across from where i had busted the group earlier in the week. As the sun came up behind me, I could see a clearer area in front of me and was debating moving up so I could see better. The morning had been quiet and I was getting a bit bored and restless.

I finally dropped my mask, put the gun and my slate down, and took care of a little business a few feet from my position. I came back and simply knelt down, had a smoke and contemplated moving again. I decided to call a little more. I put my camo back on and just stayed kneeling (w/o my gun in my hand) and made a few yelps with the slade and cutts with the mouth call. Then I saw a head about 30 yards in front of me coming from right to left with the palmettos behind. My heart stopped, I had not even heard a rustle in the leaves never mind a gobble.

I then saw 2 more heads as the first came into my shooting lane. The first had a beard just a jake but it had a beard. My heart started again then almost exploded with panic because the gun was on the ground to my right and i knew i couldn't move!! I could now see beards on the other two (jakes) and could see 3 more birds following them. As the third bird got into my lane I decided to move on the gun. I don't think i was even breathing. I moved fast (bad, I know) as i brought the gun up the bird heard the safety "click"...he stopped in the middle of my lane, stuck his head up just in time to get a face full of #6s!!! The swamp was filled of the sounds of flapping wings and putts and a broke neck flop. The last few birds flew over head and the first couple ran off only to come clucking back to see where their friend was.

I spoke their sounds and got them to come in and out a few times but I never go to see their beards again so I didn't take another. My uncle said it would be ok to take a jake the 1st time and he was in my head telling me not to shoot again I had to the job.

It was only a 14lb jake with a 5" beard but I did it alone on my first hunting season ever. Now I have your disease.

South Carolina Low Country

mark hay

RE: My first season my first bird

Postby mark hay » June 20th, 2009, 11:11 am

Congratulations 1Morgan ,,,,,fine job on the turkey and the story .
Hope your uncle is better now . That's great ! first hunt , first year to hunt , and ALONE , and filled a tag . That's awesome feller.
 It took me 5 years to do that . This spring was my 12th season , and I never got to pull the trigger .

Bobbyparks

Postby Bobbyparks » June 20th, 2009, 1:01 pm

A big congratulations to you Mr. 1Morgan on a fine bird.

You'll remember every minute of this first taking of a bird for the rest of your life. The fact that you made it happen on your own makes it that much sweeter.

You learned something as well about Easterns in that they don't always announce their arrival and slip in on you like they did. 

Glad you didn't get caught with your pants down as that would have been a moment you'd have remembered for life as well.[:)]

Again way to go!!! 

thunderchicken

Postby thunderchicken » June 20th, 2009, 3:33 pm

CONGRATS!

Only?

Just remember, never be ashamed of any bird taken legally!

They are all trophies!
Impatience is hard to ignore, but patience puts the bird in the truck!

MAKEemQUIVER

Postby MAKEemQUIVER » June 21st, 2009, 5:44 pm

Congrats on the bird, I would have given anything to have gotten  a jake my first year.

Fan Club

Postby Fan Club » June 22nd, 2009, 1:07 pm

Thanks for sharing your story Morgan and welcome to the forum!
"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it." Teddy Roosevelt

1Morgan

Postby 1Morgan » June 22nd, 2009, 1:20 pm

Hehe no shame at all...I've learned how difficult turkey hunting can be...I put my time in and earned it and it tasted good!! The only shame is my 4 unfilled tags and my uncles 5 unfilled ones due to his back...
South Carolina Low Country

thunderchicken

Postby thunderchicken » June 22nd, 2009, 3:43 pm

Next year!
Impatience is hard to ignore, but patience puts the bird in the truck!

Return to First Time Turkeys